Rick O’Shea of RTE-2FM fame, always one for mischief, is encouraging us to ask someone out on a date this week.
So, on Thursday we’re asking you to finally ask out that person you’ve been dying to go out with for ages. Maybe it’s someone you work with, a friend or just someone you see on the bus every day.
It made me think.
How many people out there pine after, or quietly fantasise over someone without finding the courage to ask them out on a date. If you are in a relationship, how did you come to be on your first date? Did it take forever to get around to it? You all know my story, because I made a Podcast about it.
Modern media give us stereotypes of what we should look for in an ideal soul mate.
What is ideal? Do you have fixed ideas? Did you sit down and write out a list?
Is the ideal woman
- a size zero, six foot tall, high-earning career woman who can whip up the perfect soufflé in a matter of minutes?
- a pretty 5ft 8in blue-eyed blonde – who is good in bed and doesn’t earn too much.
- a busty beauty who will be a physically fit size 12, weigh a trim nine-and-a-half stones, live on her own and occasionally wear glasses.
Is the ideal Man
- a high earning ‘suit’ who drives a Mercedes and lives in a £1,000,000 property.
- intelligent with a wacky, entertaining personality and an optimistic outlook on life.
- a sporty outdoor guy with well toned muscles
Have you a list with check boxes?
Long or short hair
Does/not wear glasses
Height – tall, medium or petite
Slim or curvy
Good in bed
Property – owns, rents or at home
Does anyone make that list or are we all ruled by the chemical spark, jumping blindly in without thinking?