Soapy Suds

Having the car washed

Angels bathing in College Green, Dublin!

18 thoughts on “Soapy Suds

1. Grannymar

Nancy

The “Floozie in the Jacuzzi” or Anna Livia statue and fountain was erected in O’Connell Street in 1988. The IR£200,000 sculpture was sponsored by the Smurfit family and designed by Eamonn O’Doherty. It was named after Anna Livia Plurabelle — a character in James Joyce’s Finnegan’s Wake. It became a target for litter and graffiti and drunken revellers frequently dumped washing up liquid into the fountain at weekends — covering the street in froth and foam.

Personifying the river Liffey, Anna Livia, was a woman sitting on a slope with bubbling water running down past her represented the river. It rapidly came to be nicknamed the Floozie in the Jacuzzi, the Hoor in the Sewer (“hoor” is a dialectal Irish version of “whore”, and in a “working class” Dublin accent, rhymes with sewer).

Dublin City Council has found a new home for the statue in the Croppy Memorial Gardens facing Collins Barracks. The site forms a burial ground for the fallen of the 1798 Rebellion.

The original site of the Anna Livia fountain is now home to one of the world’s tallest sculptures — the 120-metre Spire of Dublin.

2. TheChrisD

When did they decide to throw the soap into it? Musn’t have been recently, unless the council cleaned it all up before I passed by at my usual time of 2310…

Thank you for explaining that to us, GM. We can always count on you for the full story.

A friend sent me a piece of the statue of Nelson that was blown up many years ago. I still have it.

That would make a good subject for you to write about. You are the best at telling “THE REST OF THE STORY.”

Haha! Looks like end of year school pranks. And GrannyMar you really should go into one of those auto carwashes with the big brushes, it makes for seriously arty photos!

5. philip meagher

i remember when nelsons pillar was blown up. dublin corporation, moved all the rubble and i guess for awnt of somewhere else to bring the debris, hauled it to st annes park in raheny. i remember we went down there and picked up pieces. if i recall, it was made of granite..eventually it was all removed again..

6. Grannymar

@Nancy – I may well write a piece about it over the holidays. I remember the day well when it was blown up.

@Baino – I was in one of those auto carwashes many years ago when the brushes took on a life of their own. I was stuck in there for an age and nobody responded to me banging on the cars horn! Give me real Toyboys to do it anyday! 😉

Philip – I remember the debris going to St Anne’s Park, Raheny. I will come back to the Pillar over the next week or so.

Ah! The old washing up liquid in the fountain trick! Hope it was bio-degradable.

If ’tweren’t for Nelson we inhabitants of these islands might be all frenchified…oh horrors! Mind you Dublin wasn’t the most sensitive place to put up a statue to the old adulterer…and there’s me having lived in his home village at one time.

8. kenju

Well. Now I know where mr. kenju picked up his pronunciation of whore. He has said ‘hoor” for all the time I’ve known him. I bet even he doesn’t know where it came from! He has Irish on both sides of his family.

Yes, GM, like my old boss. We used to call him Mushroom because we kept him in the dark and fed him a lot of sh*t………..

10. Paddy Bloggit

Yummy yummy yummy I got suds on my tummy …… bit dangerous having the laptop in the bath!

only joking ….. it’s on a specially made, extendable shelf, with retractable lights and waterproof mouse.

Now where did I leave my sponge?

11. Grannymar

@Nancy – I’m glad that I was not your old boss! 😆

@Paddy Boggit – I am blushing! 😳 What will people say when you streak across my room 🙄