Bag Lady

Yesterday on my Food Monday the topic was sandwiches, and Nancy’s comment gave me an idea….

On a visit to Dublin many moons ago with a very young Elly my sister took her young niece out for a little treat.  Collecting a couple of her friend’s young daughters on the way they headed to the newly opened local branch of McDonalds.   The other young ladies were familiar with the routine and quickly decided on their order.  Miss Elly hung back, she did not know the routine and back then she had good manners, I have no idea what happened in the mean time!! 🙄

Not really in the habit of fast food she settled for a Milk Shake.  This slipped down with great ease and enjoyment.  All to soon Elly was drawing in noisy bubbles of emptiness and enjoying the fun of it.  My sister asked the magic question… “Would you like another one”?  Assured that she did not need to drink it right away but that she could take it home to Nana’s house for later, the answer was a definite Yes!

The menu was checked, decision made and the party returned to the counter.  When their turn came Miss Elly piped up with her order, to this her Aunt added in a bag.   Elly froze!  She was used to her dad’s obsessive tidiness and pride in a clean car….

IN A BAG!” she said incredulously, wondering how anyone could carry a Milk Shake home in a bag.

She learned.  She enjoyed, and was never allowed forget it!

19 thoughts on “Bag Lady

I’m a total manners freak but never understood why it’s taboo to blow bubbles in your milk shake or burp after you’ve scoffed it (as long as you’re under 10 years of age). Whilst mine have impeccable manners in the right company . .a lot is left to be desired at home . and they don’t stop at bubble blowing if you know what I mean!

2. Brighid

Where have all the Manners gone?
    long time passing,
    Where have all the Manners gone?
    long time ago.
    passed over every one,
    When will they ever learn
    When will they ever learn

3. Ian

Did you ever go to the MacDonald’s in Dun Laoghaire?

We hadn’t money in the early ’80s for Big Mac and Fries, but would go in for apple pies, which were rectangular and were eaten like a bar of chocolate.

The way things are going, MacDonald’s will be the only treat taht we can afford.

Grannymar,

Elly is not the only one confused .

Due to an E. coli scare, Americans are being warned not to eat spinach. The average American, when reached for comment at a McDonald’s, asked, “What’s spinach?”

@Baino – I think the under 10 rule applied!

@Brighid – I like the singing 😉

@Elf – I am not a fan so was pleased to leave fast food establishment visits to relations.

@Ian – I have never been to the branch in Dun Laoghaire. I have tasted the apple pie and it is about the only item I liked.

@Nancy – My father told us that mammy’s soup was so good it would put hair on our chests! There was no way I was going to eat spinach and have Pop-Eye arms as well 🙄

6. steph

Well, that just leaves me to let the cat out of the bag…

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANNYMAR”

From one old bag to another 😉

In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.

Wishing you many more years of fun and games!

Love n’ hugs
    Steph

It was so depressing to me when I made my first trip to Europe hoping to see different sights and the first thing I saw was the golden arches. We must be the biggest exporter of junk food all over the world. Arrrrgh!

8. Annb

Since Steph let the cat out of the bag – let me add my birthday wishes to hers. Hope you’re getting ‘bags of treats’!

“Well, I’ll be blowed”,As Popeye would say. I didn’t know it was your birthday,GM. Many Happy Birthday wishes … AND

Remember,you’ll be good to the finish if you eat your spinach like POPEYE THE SAILOR MAN. TOOT TOOT….

@Steph – Thanks old bag! 😉 This spring chicken was out for several hours enjoying the spring sunshine today. A pet day.

@Darlene – We have several of your eating establishments over here now. The latest craze to reach us are Cupcakes! We made them for years and they were known as fairy cakes or ‘feckies’ as my mother named them.

@Annb – Thank you Ann, my treats come all year long and are not confined to one day.

@Nancy – I’ll do my best! 😀

11. rummuser

I truly wish that I had had an aunt like Elly when I was small! My aunts were terrified of my father and his fussiness about his car too.

@Brighid – Thank you. I had a very pleasing day with beautiful sunshine.

@Ramana – Jack’s car always looked like it was only out of a Showroom both inside and out. Although she traveled in her aunts car that day, the idea of a milkshake sloshing about in a paper bag was more than her little mind could cope with. Back then she never heard of take-away meals.

Belated Birthday greetings of suitable nature for a young lady 😉

Lady Magpie has never been allowed to forget the milk shake from early in our marriage…but folks..the kids know how to have fun…join them…can’t stand milk shake myself.

but Jelly shooters…take a straw, push it into the jelly and remove put to mouth, point at target and BLOW!. Weee! SPLAT! Especially good fun at birthday parties at someone elses house …if you don’t mind not being invited back!

Magpie,

Remind me never to invite you to my party!!!!

One of my brothers taught his nieces & nephews to dive bomb the sugar lumps into tea or coffee, funnily he forgot how to do it when his own daughter arrived on the scene.

Thanks for the good wishes,