Handy Hints for Wednesday ~ 19

Well, I have returned even if a little late.  I enjoyed my day off yesterday.  So back to business then with some handy hints…

At this time of year everyone is thinking about planting seeds or re-potting plants.  Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot.  Line a plant pot with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from going through the drainage holes.

Ever broken the cork while trying to open the wine?  If you break the cork when opening a wine bottle, filter the wine through a coffee filter.

To clean the inside of a Microwave oven add four tablespoons of lemon juice to one cup water in a microwave-safe large bowl. Boil for five minutes on High in the microwave, allowing the steam to condense on the inside walls of the oven. Then wipe clean.

If you live in an area with hard water, or like a sparkling toilet use three cups of vinegar and brush the toilet interior to clean thoroughly.

If you are trying to remove stubborn wallpaper or border in your home use this solution. Mix a solution of vinegar and water, spray on the wallpaper to loosen it up. Gently pull the wallpaper off and wipe off the excess glue from the wall with a wet cloth. This is better than smelly chemicals.

16 thoughts on “Handy Hints for Wednesday ~ 19

1. Annb

Do the coffee filters used to line the inside of potted plants have to be unused or could you engage in a spot of recycling with used ones, after you’ve cleaned out the coffee grounds? I always feel it’s such a waste to just toss them out.

Annb,

Using the recycled coffee filters is a good idea and no need to wash them out. Coffee can be used directly on soil in the garden or added to the compost bin.

Oh my, I wish the wallpaper solution worked! Wallpaper isn’t very popular here, most walls are painted but my father being English decided to paper our pool/party room 20 years ago. We’ve just stripped it all in favour of paint and had to hire a steamer and employ a whole lot of elbow grease . . maybe our glue is a little more powerful than yours!

@Steph,

No , tap water will not sparkle because you added vinegar. BUT your toilet bowl will sparkle when you
    let all that vinegar out…….

5. kenju

I’ve been washing old wallpaper paste off walls today, Grannymar. But I was using hot water only. I’ll add some vinegar tomorrow.

Aha, I can hardly wait to see what Nancy has to say about more vinegar.

I think it would take 3 gallons of vinegar to cut the lime in our water, but I am going to give it a go.

Darlene,

Just ask GM to send you a couple of gallons of vinegar. She can spare it because she has a 2,000 gallon tank on her property which the vinegar man fills up for her weekly.

Most people have a breadman or a milkman, Grannymar has a vinegarman.

8. Brighid

I heard from the oracle chicken that the vinegarman is a hottie.
    Go Grannymar.
    Wall paper tip: after scoring the wall paper, saturate it with a mix of warm water & fabric softener from a hand held pump sprayer. Let soak in and scrape off. Just finished removing 4+ layers of oooold paper from a beadboard room. Worked like a charm.

@Baino – Just think how fit you are after all the elbow grease! 😀

@Steph – You don’t need vinegar to sparkle! 🙄 AND as for

@Nancy – You add sparkle to any room! 😀

@Nelly – I think the market is already swamped with ‘helpful’ books. Most people cast an eye through them as they do with recipe books, learn a favourite and then leave them on a shelf.

@Judy – give it a go or for a sweeter smell try what….

@Brighid says, it sounds like another fragrant idea! But remember that vinegar is a softner.

@Darlene – Never mind Nancy, she is jealous of my Vinegar man! 🙄

If the vinegarman is a hottie, I think I will come visit. I could use a toy boy and maybe he has a friend. I will bring my jugs to be filled with vinegar for my toilets.

Darlene,

I am falling over with laughter here at the idea of you flying from Arizona to fill your jugs! 😆

How did I miss this lot?

I rememeber the Corona man…My mother always looke forward to his arrival…

If I find the original Vinegar wells would I get a look in?

Another one for small plastic pots is an old round tea bag at the bottom….

Magpie,

The flight of this post was delayed by the fog…. in my head!

Vinegar wells? I thought it came in bottles! 🙄