Man proposes…..

On Thursday morning I woke suddenly.  I quickly realised it was early, very, very early, because the sound of heavy sleeping reached me through two closed doors.  The uncomfortable feeling of a vice around my chest was familiar and I knew how to deal with it.  I used my spray and propped myself up on the pillows.  Lying back I listened as the world about me came to life.  A dog barking in the distance, a door & gate closing outside followed by a car engine turning over.

Waiting ten minutes I used the spray for the second time.  Slowly the tightness eased and as the veins opened I developed the usual headache – a good sign – the spray was working!  No need to call for help.  Staying quiet and calm was the correct method of dealing with this situation.  It would pass and I would travel home as planned, even if an hour or two later in the day.  I had my own set of keys, so all I had to do was lock up and go.

Elly came into the room when she got up and offered to bring me breakfast in bed, I accepted her offer.  She sat on the bed & chatted for a few minutes before going to work while I ate my cereal and took my tablets.  We hugged and said our farewells and off she went to an early meeting.

At 9am a wave of exhaustion swept over me, again a familiar feeling.  I decided to give in and snooze for an hour.  Sleep took over and the next thing I knew it was 2.30 in the afternoon.  I had actually slept for longer than I do at a stretch on any night.  I texted Elly to let her know I was still in Dublin and not traveling.  Again she was at a meeting so her reply was an acknowledgment of my message.

Elly arrived home at her normal time of 7pm.  I was back in bed again my then yawning my head off, and I saw the worry in her face when she came into the room.  “Why did you not tell me?” She asked, as did George an hour later when he came home.  Had I told them they would both have stayed home and missed a days work.  There was no need for that this time.  Save the days for when I really need help.

The strange thing about Thursday afternoon was I woke from a dream.  I seldom dream, or if I do, I don’t recall them.  This one was very vivid.  I was in Dundrum (Dublin).  I know Dundrum very well, one of my siblings lives there.  The Dundrum of my dreams bore no resemblance to the place where they live.

I was walking on a pavement along an underpass facing the oncoming traffic.  There were two cars approaching.  The first I saw in great detail.  It was black and small like a mini.  Inside were two white haired ladies traveling at speed, far too fast for the road ahead.  I had two folded supermarket bags in my hand and waved them in the ‘slow down’ motion.  I vividly remember the driver turning to look at me like I was crazy.  I must have turned and followed the movement of the car because I saw it hit the pavement, somersault and when it had righted the roof was gone and two naked torsos were visible with torn clothes and plenty of blood.

I pulled my mobile from my pocket and called 999.

With that I woke up!

14 thoughts on “Man proposes…..

1. steph

With a header like that, I didn’t know what was coming next!

Thank goodness you didn’t have cause to dial 999 for yourself.

Dream on, Grannymar and maybe next time you’ll get a real Toyboy!

Glad you recovered okay. A good job we’ve got all these fancy sprays and tablets nowadays to deal with problems like that. I get bad dreams sometimes but never as gruesome as that one!

3. Brighid

Ah jeez, you had me worried for a bit there, Grannymar. I should have known a spitfire the likes of you would handle it with aplomb.
    Is 999 the same as 911 here? Their on speed dial around here.

4. Lorna

Sounds like you woke up with a heck of a start!

Any tips on how to remove little bits of eggshell paint from a navy jumper, GM? We were sitting on a garden bench on Wed that I’d only finished painting on Tues and it wasn’t quite dry in places – trying to rescue my husband’s jumper!

Cheers, Lorna

Happy Mother’s day to all Mother’s and prospective Mother’s.

@Steph – Sometimes even I don’t know what will follow a header! 😉

@Nick – At this stage I know when to deal with my situation and when to call for help. I take no chances. The most important thing is to stay calm. It was because others around me fussed and caused me extra stress that my GP told me to give up working.

@Brighid – Yes, 999 is the equivalent to 911, your US emergency number. European Community countries are gradually introducing a common emergency code, 112 to work alongside existing national codes. There are very few genuine 112 emergency calls in a week.

@ChrisD – Thankfully dreams don’t last very long.

@Lorna – I have emailed you a reply and will post this tip on Wednesday.

@Judy – That dream was part of the daytime sleep thankfully otherwise I might have needed helpin the morning!

Oh GM:
    So glad you are safe. I must be so frightening having these episodes even though you know what to do.
    God disposes, I guess, of the two in the mini – is that what you meant?
    Have you had the dream analyzed or do you do it yourself? I do dream analysis so holler if you need it done. I can send privately.

Very scary Grannymar. I hope you’ve fully recovered. That little spray of yours is a Godsend. As for the dream …perhaps your psyche telling you to slow down a little!

@WWW – That phrase ‘man proposes and God disposes’, was a favourite of my father’s. My arrangement to travel home on Thursday was taken out of my hand. I won’t drive if I feel unwell or think I might be a danger to others.

I seldom dream so when i do I just dismiss them. This time the details seemed very vivid. By tomorrow they will be forgotten.

@Baino – My spray works wonders. Slow down! Any slower and I might as well book a plot!

When I am ill I seem to have very disturbing vivid dreams. I have studied Jung and he says we are the authors of the plot of our dreams and they symbolize what we are really feeling – usually something we are trying to hide from ourselves. (I am using my words, not his.) The fact that you were not feeling well probably had a great deal to do with your gory dream.

I do not know the reason that you need to use a spray or take tablets, but I am sorry that you have a medical problem. I do hope it’s manageable and that you mean it when you say you know when to call for help.

Darlene,

I have a sister-in-law who has vivid dreams on a regular basis and she worries about their meaning, I on the other hand pay little attention to the few I recall.

I take no chances with my health. I cope well with it and find being on my own is easier. A spray and a fully charged mobile phone are with me everywhere I go.

Enjoy your holiday!

11. Maryrose Lyons

I hope you’re feeling a little better today? On the dream front, I used to have a dream dictionary and gave it away when I realised that generally, the ones that seem mad / crazy to us mean good things are a coming… and the generic / blando ones are usually portents of doom.
    So I guess you’ve got some good things coming your way Grannymar! Just keep those crazy thoughts coming!

Thanks Maryrose.

Five or six hours of unbroken sleep each night for a week would be wonderful.