Donkeys

I wonder how many times these guys get a mention today?*

Another photo from my archive from a day at the Michaelmas Festival in Tinnahinch during September 2008.

*In the Christian calendar, the Sunday before Easter and first day of Holy Week, commemorates Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem. St Mark’s Gospel, relating Jesus’ triumphant entry into Jerusalem on a donkey, tells how he was hailed as the promised Messiah by the crowds (Mark 11:9–10).

14 thoughts on “Donkeys

1. steph

Grannymar,

I love donkeys! I’m wondering if the one with the halter on, has another on the way or maybe she is suffering from mid-life sag? I know the feeling well!

Where is everyone today? I visited here briefly this morning but didn’t have time to stay and chat. Am I supposed to be somewhere else ❓

Did you know that in those days in the Middle East if a King came in peace he rode a Donkey but if in war he rode a horse? My RE teacher told me that….. so the supposed symbolism of humility and poverty is not appropriate….

3. steph

Hi! Magpie

I hope that’s the donkey and not Grannymar you’re talking about! 😉

Don’t know where the Boss has disappeared to today? Perhaps when she gets back, I’ll find out where I was meant to be 🙄

@Steph – I’m a city girl, how would I know about donkey husbandry or wifery! As for mid life sag….. I can wait! 😉 Formula 1 racing was sure to distract plenty from the blog world.

@Magpie – I never heard about the king coming in peace on a donkey.

@Judy – The little one looks half asleep.

@WWW – I remember that one!

Baino,

There was another one on in Malaysia this weekend and it finished early due to rain. Next one is the China Race, Sun, 19 April. I only know these dates as I’m not supposed to phone certain people in the middle of a race! 😉

It must have been a cold winter judging by the Donkey’s coats. They are the pack animals in Morocco because they can go in the Souk’s (Mall like shopping areas) narrow alleys. They are also cheaper to maintain than a truck. They may nip, but they look so sweet.

@Darlene – That photo was taken last September. Mind you we had very little summery weather last year, The animals like the humans seldom shed the warmer layers.

@Baino – No fear. I dislike sports that include noise or a ball. What have I left?

Tiddley winks! or Patience! What about Ludo…a very competitive game that..once started at (pm on Christmas day and finished at 4am Boxing day! I was NOT going to let anyone other than me win!!!

Magpie,

I love a game of Patience…. with the real cards and not the one where I have to use a mouse! Tiddley winks and Ludo, Monopoly and Cluedo remind me of raised voices round the table when I was young. Good fun but noisy!