Handy Hints for Wednesday ~ 24

Today I begin with an answer to an email request:

Any advice on how to get rid of mice?!

Thankfully I have not had trouble with mice for years.  A brother of mine grills bacon and puts a tiny bit in a trap while it is still warm.  Another friend suggests a tiny slice of Mars Bar.

I am beginning to wonder if I am a mouse since I can’t resist either of the above!

Do you grow Tomatoes?

Well an addition of crushed eggshells will give extra calcium to the soil & help prevent blossom end rot.

Remove the membrane from inside the shell of raw eggs (no need on boiled ones), wash them out well with warm water, and then leave them to air dry. When dry to the touch, put them into a see-through plastic then use the rolling pin to crush them. Once your shells are reduced to pieces as small as grains of salt, it is ready for working into you soil or sprinkling over your compost heap.

Wisewebwoman uses them instead of pebbles at the bottom of flowerpots for drainage and nutrition.

Judy had some suggestions last week that she had not tested, I have and they work.

In a pinch for a long match, use a piece of spaghetti. Just light the end. It’s great for lighting water heater pilot lights, etc. Please be careful as the spaghetti will bend as it heats.

Use glow-in-the-dark paint to dab dots on your light switches and doorknobs. This way you can easily find your way when the lights are off at night.

Oil a metal tape measure with WD-40. It will remove rust and help it slide more easily.

An extra tip this week

NB: NB: NB: NB: NB: NB: NB: NB:

When you turn the key in the back door to lock it…. REMOVE the key!

Come back on Friday and I will tell you why! 🙄

16 thoughts on “Handy Hints for Wednesday ~ 24

1. Primal Sneeze

Excellent! Now that’ll solve my issues from yesterday – the switch and knob ones.

2. steph

@ Primal 😆 @ glow-in-the-dark knobs

In answer to whoever has the problem with mice… get a cat!

Grannymar,

You’re teasing us again! I want to know why today 😥

3. kenju

Thanks for testing the tips, Grannymar. I’m glad to know they work. I like the tip about eggshells in the soil of tomatoes, too.

4. Annb

Thanks for the tips – really looking forward to testing the tomato eggshell diet – my crop last year was a disaster – hope this will turn the tide!

Not sure about over there but tomatoes grow very well in pots too, especially the little cherry tomb thumbs and mini romas. I haven’t got mice but I do have RATS! and poison them as I do, another brood appears . . .I can’t sleep with all the lights off so no need for GID splotches on my light switches . . you’d think I was too old to be afraid of the dark!

Baino,

My sister grows her toms in pots in Dublin and they taste well. My garden faces north and far to cold to attempt them.

Yesterday you wanted one of my toyboys, I think you need the pied piper!

Squeak, squeak – I’m a mouse, too. However, I prefer Heath bar so maybe I’m only half mouse. (Don’t ask what the other half is.)

I have an awful mouse story. I got those humane traps where the mice saunter in and get trapped and then you cart them off miles away to a field.
    Well I laid those traps out and forgot and went off on vacation and came back and you know the rest.
    The most inhumane way ever to kill mice, starve them to death for 3 weeks.
    I felt terrible.

Bill La Foe,

Welcome to the fun and games here. I share the tips I have learned over a long lifetime spent in the kitchen with my mother.

Having visited your site just now I realise I have a very long way to go to be as professional as you are with hints and tips on your blog