BarCamp 09

The Cathedral Quarter of Belfast has changed dramatically since I was last there.  New buildings are sprouting like mushrooms and the traffic has changed direction on many streets.  It took me extra time to locate a carpark facing in the direction of home.

Stepping out of the elevator, I turned to the Registration Desk and was greeted with whoops of “Grannymar, you are here!”  What a welcome from three wonderful young people at the desk.

• The first talk of the day ‘The 7 deadly sins of wordpress’ by – http://www.twitter.com/leemunroe* had just begun as I slipped into a packed room and found a seat.

Next up were:

• The semi-permeable newsroom
  • OpenStreetMap: Mapping your world by Dermot McNally

Ciarán worked like a whirlwind, yet found time to sit for a coffee & chat.

• Money for new rope: a changing face for public service media by http://www.twitter.com/ewanmcintosh
  • Paul McEnhill (15 year old school boy) ‘Making photos look good’ Now I need to try and put into action all he told us.

Lunch

The conversation continued over Pizza in the Foyer

• Coffee Brewing 101 – Making coffee at home by @grib from Bean and Gone who provided fresh coffee throughout the day.
  • The 5C’s of Digital & Social Media Marketing by  @con_nector  Conor Lynch

Thanks to Property Pal.com for the coffee beakers

Unfortunately I had to drag myself away early and missed the ‘afters’.  never mind there will be a next time!

The whole event was awesome and was a great job by Andy Mc Millan @goodonpaper

A little message stolen from Twitter:

Last #barcampbelfast tweet of the night – The talks were good, the event was great, but the people were f**king amazing.

Colin Parte @itsabenzbaby needs to apologize to @redmum – for mixing up our names!  My red tresses have long turned to silver, but thanks to Colin I decided I’m not getting old! 🙂

I have not mentioned all the people I chatted to or saw across a crowded room. You don’t really want a list as long as those of a Poling Station in the Indian State of Maharashtra, now do you!  There were after all between 250 and 300 turned up on the day.

* Good wishes go to Lee Munroe as he takes part in the London Marathon today.

15 thoughts on “BarCamp 09

1. steph

There’s confirmation if ever it was needed…

You’re f**king amazing, Grannymar 😆

“If they could see me now
    That little gang of mine
    I’m eatin’ fancy chow and drinkin’ fancy wine
    I’d like those stumble bums
    To see for a fact
    The kind of top-drawer, first-rate chums I attract
    All I can say is ‘Wow-ee!’
    Look-a where I am
    Tonight I landed, POW!
    Right in a pot of jam
    What a set-up, holy cow!
    They’d never believe it
    If my friends could see me now!”

@Steph – I love the song lyrics.

@Annb – They are only a sample of the 36 talks on the day, spread over four rooms. Impossible to attend all of them so it is a case of pick and choose the topics or speakers you want to hear. Sometimes the ‘hallway conversations’ prove excellent and ideas come up to be discussed or explored on other occasions.

@WWW – There may well be a BarCamp near you. They go on all over the world.

@Magpie – 😆 I have handled an iphone but it would in fact be wasted on me. I have a mobile for emergency and light use. Days go by without using it.

Sadly, I think technology is leaving me behind. I don’t even own a cell phone. Twitter and tweet have yet to be investigated. I think I am still on Face Book, but am too busy to check.

I never thought I would be too old to remain up to date, but fear it is happening.

Darlene,

You embraced blogging at the tender age of 83 and are to be admired for doing so when I know of people half your age who refuse to even try.

I resisted mobile phones longer than any one else on the staff at school and only got one for the States…and it didn’t work over there like I was promised. I have it turned off until I ( a big I) want to use it.

Why should I be available to any Tom, Dick oh Harry at any old time? Mind you…if it was a Marie , or Sherry or…. now there’s an idea develop a phone which will only allow female persons to contact me…;-)

7. Sharon

It was a lovely morning made all the nicer to be able to share some of it with yourself. Thanks again for the lift out to the airport and back in again.

I met up with the campers again that evening and enjoyed a great evening of chat.

Sharon,

No problem, it was good to meet your sister again. Sorry I missed the evenings fun…. we will have other evenings and soon!

9. Lee Munroe

Thanks for the good luck wishes. Finished it in 4h 54m. Was a tough old slog. + Thanks for your input on Saturday, hope you enjoyed your sweet 🙂

@Davy – Alas, the only ‘pulling’ on Saturday was of me retiring early – well that is my story and I am sticking to it! 😉 Thanks for the link to the photos, great work as usual.

@Lee – Very well done on the London Marathon, 4hours 54minutes is a wonderful achievement. I enjoyed your talk and the sweet! 😀