Handy Hints for Wednesday ~ 25

Recently while shopping browsing looking (with money and cards buried deep in my pocket) around a rather elegant ladies clothing shop, a blast from the past accosted my nostrils. Something I associated with the next door neighbour from my childhood days. It was the smell of mothballs. A lady of a certain age had passed close by me. Her outfit was elegant, expensive and very high fashion. Alas the mothballs had killed the whole effect. PERMANENTLY!

Moths are beginning to make an appearance once more, so what can we do?

The best method to keep the moths away is to keep worn clothes and freshly laundered clothes in separate wardrobes/closets. Save and dry slivers of used soap bars & tie them in tiny net drawstring bags and hang them alongside your clothes. Now, not only will the moths stay away but your clothes will also smell nice.

For those without a garden who need to buy fresh herbs, wrap any leftovers in a slightly damp kitchen towel and place them in a plastic zip lock bag or cover with food wrap and store in the refrigerator to keep them for a few days.

Another tip from Judy that I tested over the last week.

Put any musty smelling old books into a brown paper bag with baking soda in it, close tightly, and let sit for approximately one week.

The next time your mascara runs dry, don’t toss it out. The brush is the perfect size for cleaning small nooks and crannies. Shampoo the bristles and allow them to dry – and get to work!

With all this talk of flu

If you have a sore throat you can soothe a throat by using a teaspoon of vinegar in a glass of water. Gargle the solution, and then swallow. You can also add a touch of honey if you don’t like the taste.

17 thoughts on “Handy Hints for Wednesday ~ 25

1. Primal Sneeze

You could use those net drawstring bags that come with washing machine cubes for the moth repellent.

They’re also handy when you’re washing very small items like lens cloths in the machine.

* Runs away before people start thinking he’s turning into his mother *

Hello Mother! 😆

Primal, you better watch out or you might end up on my Wednesday Guest list… You will appear after Mulley!

3. Rhyleysgranny

Goodness Granny I haven’t smelt a moth ball since childhood. Oh they were awful. Looked like huge polo mints as I recall. I can only assume the hole was for threading string through to hang them up.

Good tip for the mascara brushes.

Lemons are useful things. If you boil lemon skins ( I use a lot of lemons ) or a chopped in half lemon in the micro for a few mins until the oven is all misted up. Remove the bowl and wipe out. Sparkling clean

4. Annb

Another useful tip for the herbs is to put them into ice cube trays, pour water over them and freeze. You can then pop them directly from the freezer into stews and casseroles all year round. Or if you use mint leaves; you can have the garnish and the ice cube all rolled into one for your next mojito!

@Rhyleysgranny – The awful thing about those mothballs was the smell lingered for years.

Yes, the lemons refresh the microwave and the kitchen if you leave the bowl with the hot water & lemon sitting on the counter for awhile.

@Annb – Thanks for the tip about the flavoured ice cubes.

6. elfinamsterdam

Aren’t mothballs carcinogenic?

I dont get moths so much as Mosquitoes…. any tips for those?
    Am terrifically allergic and get HUGE lumps 🙁

I use cloths soaked in essential oils and rub the wooden hangars with them every month. Clothes smell nice and no moths (yet)

Thanks for the tips re cut herbs. My local supermarket sells pluke (little bunches) and bossje (larger bunches) of fresh herbs. So good, especially for fresh mint tea!

7. Brighid

When packing away winter clothes I throw a few leaves of the Artemisiea plant in the box. No bugs, and doesn’t smell as bad as moth balls. Out West: Moth balls thrown in the crawl space of your house will keep the 3 R’s (raccoons, rats, rattlesnakes) away.

” Save and dry slivers of soap bars & tie them in tiny net drawstring bags and hang them alongside your clothes. ”

Grannymar,

I must warn you that I tried this a few times and my husband was FURIOUS at me ! He was terribly upset at having to jump out of the tub or shower soaking wet to go scrounging around in old coat pockets looking for soap… Yes, it kept the moths away but truly annoyed him. Especially trying to get the soap out of the little net bag with wet hands…

I am now back to moth balls and am happy to report that I can ALWAYS get a seat on the subway…..

After moths ate holes in a brand new cashmere sweater my daughter bought me in Paris I have been on a crusade to eliminate every one. They also found a Kiltie skirt I bought in Scotland and that made me so mad I vowed vengeance. I am careful to wash new woolen clothes (or dry clean them) when I first get them because I read that the moths don’t eat the wool, but the dirt between the fibers. Whatever they eat, it’s time to stop them before they make lunch out of your favorite garment.

Sorry folks, I got called away this morning so only playing catch-up now.

@Elf – “Aren’t mothballs carcinogenic? ” – I did read that somewhere. Now check out Brighid’s tip above for dealing with Mosquitoes.

@Nancy – Your Roy is some Saint! I am delighted that you are bacl online once more, we missed you!

@Darlene – Thanks for the tip. It is the body odour and skin cells that draws the moths.

IIRC I read that clothes moths actually evolved in the nests of birds and fed on the “whatever it is” that feathers are made of…

Old tooth brushes have lots of uses too.

Use cider (cyder) vinegar for the gargle and maybe Manuka Honey….

Talking of honey: Hay fever sufferers should use the honey that is produced in the local area (or as close as possible to home)…..It contains local pollens and seems to help. I have my doubts about grass pollen induced hay fever…but there you go!

Magpie,

I keep all the old tooth brushes for recycling. I hope visitors don’t think they go anywhere near my mouth.

Interesting point about local honey, I never thought about it before.

13. Alice

I’ve been wondering what to do with all those little scraps of soapbars. I was thinking of melting them down and molding in the name of the green thing, but I like this idea much better. I hate moth ball smells…nothing says old age quite the way they do.

Alice,

‘nothing says old age quite the way they do’ I couldn’t put it better myself.