Jacket Potatoes

“Mum! Can we have potatoes in their skins tonight?” asked the skipping little figure by my side. It was about 8.30 am and we were on our way to school. The journey downhill was over a mile and to vary it we jogged, hopped or skipped as we talked. We remembered our recent holiday and the fun in the swimming pool, the man in the book shop at the resort and the places we visited. The excitement was building as the end of term drew nearer and plans for the first school trip were announced.

On the last lap of the journey along the avenue we decided what I would cook for dinner to go with the potatoes in their skins. As we reached the school gate, two arms reached up to give me a hug and a kiss to keep me going until 2pm when I would once again stand at the same spot to receive another kiss and a hot little hand to hold on the homeward journey.

Elly was actually reading before she started primary school aged four. Once she started there was no stopping her. A sponge was to water as her brain was for words. If there were no books available then she read the blurb on the cereal or biscuit packets. The very first proper book that she managed to read alone was Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne. It was quickly followed by The Folk of the Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton and Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl.

My post yesterday with recipes for baked potatoes, was a tip towards this little piece in a round about way.

As we cleared away the dinner dishes I asked how she liked the ‘jacket potatoes’. Elly stopped mid action and word, and a beam of enlightenment broke all over her face. “So that is what they were talking about!” she said, as she continued to tell me about the Folk of the Faraway Tree.

“Did you think they were wearing tweed jackets like Dad’s with buttons down the front?” I asked.

“Yes!” she nodded and suddenly began to giggle at the very idea.

Tomorrow the 6th of May I hope you enjoy books, words and giggles. Find time to hold hands, share hugs and kisses and have a wonderful Birthday.

18 thoughts on “Jacket Potatoes

1. Hails

Aww, the Folk of the Faraway Tree! Moonface and Silky and the Saucepan Man… I loved those stories too. I don’t remember the jacket potatoes, but I always think of Enid Blyton when I seen ginger beer or macaroons! 🙂

I boil potatoes in their skins too which Jenny doesn’t like. I don’t remember having jacket potatoes when I was small, but I do remember lots of fish fingers and spam! How tastes have changed since then.

I hope Elly has a great birthday.

@Hails – If you fancy rereading some of these old favourites, for old times sake of course… then call at Elly’s.

@Nick – My mother did that if the ‘Master Peeler’ was at school, or when she had the Golden Wonder variety of potato.

Happy Birthday, Elly !!!

I usually leave the skins ‘aka’ jackets on potatoes when I boil them. That’s where all the vitamins are. Actually, I like the jackets best.

Happy Birthday Ellie,.

new potatoes, boiled in their skins served with sea-salt, black pepper and butter….note NO MINT!.Sorry to shout but why cover that wonderful flavour with mint? Blog post coming up….

Another Taurean! I’m inflicted with them! Father ( tho’ he’s not here no more) wife, favourite girlfriend …well woman friend ..and at least two of the kids at school…actually my father is the only male on the list!

God she looks like you! I remember jacket potatoes after a ‘day trek’ on horseback when I was a kid. The riding school I went to always had jacket potatoes and beans on toast as a tummy warmer when the ride was over. I rarely cook them these days. Happy birthday Ellybabes!

7. Brighid

Have never heard them called Jacket potatoes, but then I still have a great deal to learn. Love the Jackets the best. Happy Birthday to Elly.

@WWW – I think I will call tomorrow Jacket Day! 😉

@Darlene – I remember learning that too.

@Magpie – You seem to have as many women in your life as I have Toyboys! 🙄

@Judy – I came across a Fruitcake recipe today with mashed potato in it!

@Baino – Shhh! Don’t tell Elly that she looks like her mother. That might spoil her day tomorrow. lol

9. Alice

I think it’s special that you actually remember the titles of the first books she ever read. I wish I were able to do that!

Alice, The day I bought The Folk of the Faraway Tree and Fantastic Mr. Fox, I also bought a third book and cannot for the life of me remember the name of it. Elly probably will and might even have a copy of it now.

11. elly

All, thanks for the kind wishes!

@GM – was it not another Roald Dahl? The one we looked at recently and it was scribbled all over with pics of people with no arms?

No Elly, They were by three different authors to give you variety. I was thinking about that one with the pencil scribbles but the title escaped me.

13. elly

I had a great day today, thanks all!

@kenju – no potatoes or cake for me, we dined on roasted tomato soup and risotto with salmon (all homemade) tonight. And even better, there’s enough over for lunch and dinner tomorrow!

Seeing as I’ve had the best part of a bottle of wine, I think it’s time I headed to bed! Night all!