I am playing catch up.

Thankfully I woke in my own bed on Friday morning! It was a lovely feeling to know there was somebody else in the house and a morning hug was waiting for me.  Elly, who had brought me home from the hospital on Thursday, was staying to keep an eye on me and watch for the hazards that might disrupt progress and also to make sure I behaved myself!

A good internet signal meant that she was able to work for a couple of hours while I pottered about at my leisure.  At one stage I heard her talking to somebody and thinking we had a guest I went to investigate.  It was a delivery of parcel post.  One package for her and one for me.  I had ordered nothing so I was like a child at Christmas all fingers and thumbs while I undid the tape and wrapping.  It was a wonderful unexpected surprise.  Thank you Fran!

Elly cleared her virtual desk and said she would take me out for a couple of hours.  I did want to call to Tools for Living in Ballymena, to see their sock and stocking aids.  I want to see which one is best and start practising now so that when I have the hip replaced I will be able to put my own socks on.  Alas the place closed early on a Friday so we picked up Hails from Coffee Helps and went for a girly giggle and cup of coffee at Junction One.

Ordering coffee

Thats not me in the middle!

I didn’t realise that Elly & Hails were meeting for the first time, they were like kindred spirits and we managed to catch up on all our news as well as all going home with little treats.  We left Hails back to where we found her as she had another appointment and we headed for home.

“Are you hungry Mum?” asked Elly.  “Do you fancy eating out, that way we have no dishes to wash” she added.  We discussed where to go and we decided on a Chinese restaurant.  The food was good and I eat well.  By the time we reached home I was ready for my bed.

That night I would not be lonely…..

My Toyboys come from Hollywood!

That is Made In Hollywood

15 thoughts on “I am playing catch up.

1. rummuser

Grannymar, your first sentence almost had me in a cardiac arrest! Don’t do such things please!

Good that you are back on your own bed, and I see that everything is ready. Go for them.

2. steph

Grannymar,

I had to give up trying to catch-up but when I come here, I know I’m guaranteed a tonic!

I hope all that ‘msg’ made for good toyboy dreams? 😀

@Ramana – Calm down! Toyboys on my pillow are one thing….. but they don’t make coffee or serve breakfast in bed. 🙁

@Steph – Would you like Gin in that tonic? 😆

4. Fran

Grannymar, wishing a quick recovery and a couple ‘real’ toyboys to tend to your needs. No point sending you a polystyrene banana as they don’t taste good and won’t aid your recovery.(mind you neither does polystyrene toyboys :-|)

5. Anne Gibert

I can’t imagine why it took me so long to get here, but now that I have found your blog I will be a regular visitor. What a lovely way to come home from the hospital. I am not certain my daughters would be so nice to me! But they might rise to the occasion.

@Judy – It is good to be home.

@Fran – The polystyrene toyboys make me smile!

Grannymar, they have a neat tool for putting on your socks after surgery. You put your socks on the outside of the device and put your foot on the inside; then you pull the tool up with cords and as the tool comes off your foot, the sock stays on. You will also need a grabber to pick things up off the floor as bending down is a ‘no-no’ after surgery. the grabber is handy for pulling your slacks up as well as retrieving things on lower shelves, etc. Life won’t be the same for awhile, but it’s worth it.

@Magpie – Thank you.

@Anne Gibert – Hello and welcome to the party. I am very fortunate with my daughter Elly. She has no siblings to spread the load and working 125 miles away is not easy for her at times like this. When you are newly married it is no fun being away from your hubby either. I appreciate his quiet contribution to the couple of days too.

@Baino – It is not one of my favourite sculptures and the girls were game for me to take the shot and use it here.

@WWW – I never mind the Toyboys 😉 Elly did a great job.

@Darlene – I came across a very good sock aid online today. I have a grabber and am using it for practice. The bedroom is ready with plenty of space on both sides, allowing for one way traffic – new hip into bed first and new hip out of bed first.

Next week I reorganize the kitchen cupboards so that all the necessities are at the correct level.

9. Alice

It’s nice to see your positive attitude about one-provider healthcare. I hope we get something as good here soon, but those insurance companies can afford lots of lobbyists. I seem to have missed the date of your surgery. Or was I too sleepy and tired when I read it?

Alice,

I listen to many people complain about their health providers.

Over the years I had many occasions to avail of NHS services. In the 32 years dealing with them I have come across two people that were not quite satisfactory, all because they heard but didn’t listen.

Hip surgery will be sometime in the next three months.

11. Pingback: Grannymar » The wee small hours…