Questions, Questions

‘Questions, Questions’ was a problem-solving programme on BBC Radio 4. Stewart Henderson the Presenter addressed the intriguing and seemingly imponderable questions posed by everyday life….

“If there are two rainbows in the sky, does the second one have the colours in reverse order? If so, why?”

“Why does the bread always fall to the floor butter side down?”

Since I don’t eat buttered bread I paid little heed to the answer for that question, so don’t ask me. November 08 was the last time I heard the programme and at my age memory plays tricks. Don’t tell Elly that it is selective defective!

Now we all have questions. Not like Captain Boyles “What is the Stars?” Or to give the proper quotation “I ofen looked up at the sky an’ assed meself the question – what is the moon, what is the stars?”Captain Boyle, Act I of Juno and the Paycock by Sean O’Casey.

My question is: ‘Why do people say “How are you?” when they meet someone, and do they really want to know or listen to the answer’?

What is your question?

23 thoughts on “Questions, Questions

1. steph

Good question, Grannymar

My question is…

Why do nurses still routinely ask their patients everyday “Have your bowels moved/opened today”?

When I observe the nurses, you can tell that they don’t like asking this question any more than the patients like being asked.

Surely in this day and age with over-the-counter medications etc., most people are capable of reporting if they have a problem in this regard?

Actually, I find that in the ‘posher’ hospitals, they tend not to ask the question. Does that imply that posh people don’t DIE if they get constipated/the runs? 😉

As someone who suffers from a rare form of colitis, I love being a tease with my reply 😀

@Steph – I remember being asked one day ‘Have you moved today’? I quickly answered ‘Yes, from the bed to the chair’! 😀

@Primal – If it is Button B, you might get your money back!

Grannymar,

These questions have been on my mind for years so I am glad you asked….

Are part time band leaders semi conductors?

What do they call coffee breaks at the Lipton Tea Company?

After they make Styrofoam, what do they ship it in?

Why do you need an appointment to see a psychic?

Hello, Steph. Nice to see you back…..

Why do we have ten fingers and toes and not twelve? Or eight?

Why don’t we have eyes at the back of our head?

Why can’t we live on grass or eucalypus leaves?

Why can’t we conceive by kissing?

Why aren’t teeth self-repairing?

@Nancy – I thought that now you had Saibot in your life that he would be able to answer all your questions! 😉 Is he as good looking as Tobias? I wish you both a long and happy partnership.

Now for some answers to your questions…

1. Only if he is playing at Electric Picnic Music and Art Festival.

2. Tea for to many.

3. This one is easy, just ask Fran!

4 . ’cause the Crystal ball is steamed up!

@Nick –

1. Somebody eat the others.

2. I have eyes in the back of my head… just ask Elly!

3. You mean you don’t?

4. Did your mammy not tell you about the birds ‘n bees? 🙄

5. You need to check this out.

6. steph

Grannymar 😆

“Have you moved today?”

In which case, I’ve have to reply… “I’ve run a bloody marathon!”

Hello, Nancy. It’s nice to be back. Next time Grannymar goes out, we must have another party and invite all Grannymar’s friends along 😀

Steph,

I hardly moved from the phone today. The world and his mother wanted to talk to me. Do you think I am dying? 🙄

It’s hard to resist the temptation to tell people ‘how I am’ sometimes. But would they really want to know? I doubt it.

Baino,

Nowadays I just say that I am ‘grand’! People who are really interested can tell from my eyes how I am.

Why is it so hot? Why is it raining? Why is it so cold? Why do I have to?
    Where do babies come from?

Grannymar, I love your term ‘selective defective’. I suspect I will be using it often.

Selective defective is a brilliant phrase!

I worked for Dow in my distant youth and they shipped Styrofoam on pallets…. back then! it was quite the rage at one point to use it for sculptures! There were different types with different cell sizes…

Can you imagine playing darts if you had eyes in the back of your head?

As for conception… work it out! Have fun!

As for greetings…How are you? I’m surviving. or just tell the absolute truth! That stops their inanity. t the Folk Club I once answered,”I feel fantastic!” I didn’t have to buy a drink all night!

My question…How does an unnecessary item manage to make itself so indispensable as the mobile ‘phone seems to have done?

I’M NOT ON THE BUS!

‘NIght!

Magpie,

Did you not visit the link above to Fran? He is the expert and my Toyboy maker!

You would never believe the things I learned through the eyes in the back of my head! Isn’t that right Elly? 😆

13. bikehikebabe

Bread falls to the floor buttered side down because butter is heavy. When you eat it you get heavy too.

I was talking to a friend in the eye doctor’s office who told me she was getting a quadruple heart bypass the next day. When he came to take her to her room (to wait some more), he asked, “How are you.” “Good” she said. When they ask me, I tell ’em.

I noticed on the bus the answers used to be “GREAT!”, then “Good”, after that “fine” & now I hear “I’m hanging in there.”.

The Newfoundland answer to “How are you?”
    “Best kind.”
    Which has to be up there with my all time favourite responses.
    My daddy never answered this one, and I must have asked him 200 times:
    “Why is the sky blue?”

15. bikehikebabe

The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through.

16. rummuser

People generally do not take me seriously. I therefore have to ask this question frequently. “Are you serious?” Or in the alternative, a statement with an implied question mark at the end – “You can’t be serious!”

When people ask me “How are you?”, I always ask back, “It will take about fifteen minutes to tell you. Do you really want to know?”

Another question, “How are you doing?” Elicits this response from me – “I stopped doing a long time ago. How about you?”

For obvious reasons, this question is no longer asked to me. “How do you do?” I inevitably used to answer, “The missionary position. How do YOU do?”

@BHB – I don’t eat butter or any of her cousins, and people say that is why I am a stick insect. MY mum put 1lb of butter on every slice of bread and she was also a stick insect????

@WWW – I like “Best kind.”, and might add it to my collection.

@Ramana – No wonder your friends don’t take you seriously.

18. Ashok

I guess it depends on some person. With few people I don’t care enough, but with most of them I really want to know how they are doing. Amongst us youth, the question of intrigue is “Whats up?”