Where to start….?

Carrickfergus Castle

I am not sure if I am ready for this unveiling yet.  I like to take things slowly and savour the moment.  So many situations in life are ruined because they are rushed.  So where should I start?  Looking in or looking out?

Looking out through the archway to Belfast Lough.

Have you ever been to the Courtyard at Scotch Quarter in Carrickfergus?  It is a pleasant setting off Marine highway with about nine individual shops. Some of them have had the same tenants for years while a few deep inside bring new faces and merchandise.  The list includes a china/giftware and kitchen ware shop, and a coffee shop both face the direction you see through the arch above.  Elizabeth Anne fashions had large retirement notices pasted across the windows and little stock left.  It was one of the larger shops and I wonder who will replace them?  There is a tiny Thomas Joseph Gallery, where you can chat to and watch the man himself, as he paints.

This photo I took back in March last year, was right in the central courtyard.  The furniture is made from tree trunks and imported from the far side of the globe so has a very heavy carbon footprint!  The shop selling that furniture is to the right of where the ladies are sitting.  One of the more recent arrivals is a delicatessen/coffee shop with just a few tables inside and out.

The well bleached furniture!  Who said we get no sunshine?

Facing the ladies is my favourite shop, it is The Silver Store, a small jewellery shop full of variety and surprise, a place I love to browse. From the very modern to the very old, and as they say the day you browse is the day you find treasure.  That was the day I found……

Sorry, my wrists are sore and you would hate to have me get RSI, now wouldn’t you?  Maybe by Tuesday I’ll be rested! 🙄

15 thoughts on “Where to start….?

1. steph

That’s done it… I’m in a huff now!

Not talking 👿
    (well, maybe a little)

Judging by today’s weather (so far), I reckon those chairs were bleached before they got to this side of globe.

I love the furniture, most unusual. It looks more like a set of sculptures. I half expect to see a notice saying “Please do not touch the exhibits”.

@Ashok – Ireland is small and each of the 32 Counties has its own treasures. We might complain about the clod and damp weather but it gives the colour and our 40 shades of green!

@Steph – That furniture was a different colour when new and the pieces inside are beautiful if you have the ‘right’ space. Eh… enjoy your escape for a few hours today, and don’t overdo it!

@Nick – There are no two pieces the same, I suppose it all depends on the root system of the tree chosen for each piece.

4. Annb

I’ve never been to Carrickfergus, you’ve really put the longing on me now! You should be on commission from the tourist board!

Kate,

I am sure my RSI (ridiculously silly imaginings) will be sorted by Tuesday! 😆

6. Maria

You have no idea how beautiful the 40 shades of green are to the eyed of this heat -suffering desert dweller.

My Auntie Moran who came from Ireland (Don’t all Americans have a relative or two from Ireland?) was a wonderful story teller who left us children begging for more. Someday, I will blog about her, but now I will sit back and wait to hear .. . . the rest of the story.

@Baino – Wodger will be wevealed before Wednesday! 🙄 In other words be sure to visit on Tuesday!

@WWW – The pieces are suitable for inside and outside use. They really make a statement.

@Ramana – I could wait until a year on Tuesday,,,, if the mood was on me!

@Maria – I do appreciate that the beauty and colour of Ireland comes from the North Atlantic Drift.

@BHB – Green is something we have plenty of!