The Little Mermaid

The other day I went in search of a Tall Ship.  Alas, I was out of luck.  From 13-16th August, Belfast will play host to the Tall Ships fleet of over 40 ships as they cross the finish line of the 2009 Tall Ships Atlantic Challenge a journey of over 7,000 nautical miles, arriving into the Port of Belfast to berth along the mouth of the river Lagan.

Two of the ships had already arrived but I would not get near to where they were before Thursday.  Crowds and walking are not my friends at the moment.  I hoped to head for Carrickfergus or Whitehead and catch one or two heading into Belfast Lough

I may not have found what I was looking for but I did find a little beauty.  Perched on top of a bollard I was reminded of The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen.

Meet Saskia, lost in concentration as she sketched Carrickfergus Castle.

This talented young lady was on holiday with her family and she told me she took her notebook everywhere with her to sketch whatever took her interest.  Sometimes it was flowers and sometimes it was buildings.  She hoped to fill the notebook with memories of her holiday.  She showed me the previous pages with a collage of pictures from her day at Belfast Zoo.

Saskia’s sister does a hand stand.

Saskia about to do a Cartwheel.

I enjoyed meeting this lovely family and mum and I exchanged email addresses.  I hope they have their photos by now.

17 thoughts on “The Little Mermaid

We’re planning to see the tall ships at the end of the week with Jenny’s mum. Fingers crossed for some decent weather.

The sheer concentration on Saskia’s face as she does her sketch is amazing.

2. steph

Who needs street theatre when we’ve got Saskia and her sister!

Be honest, Grannymar…

You were really looking for a toyboy sailor, weren’t you? 👿

3. gaelikaa

I was happy to see you in my comment box this morning. Thanks for coming back. You are right, I named that post after the real Reluctant Memsahib as I like the name and it was perfect for the post I was writing. It is a lovely blog alright. I found you there, as a matter of fact. Well! Enjoy the tall ships. And come back and visit me again soon…..one of my blogging friends named a post after me once, must try and get the link. I’m no good at links you know, I have to wait for my kids to come in from school to help me with those….

4. Maynard

How lucky you are to experience the “tall ships”. I live in central Pennsylvania, and all I get to see is canoes going down the Susquehanna River, and no mermaids. How bad is that??

Wow that takes me back, the tall ships were out here for our Bicentennary in 1988 and I think again a couple of years ago but I didn’t have the photography thing going. Really spectacular on our harbour! Nice that you met someone too. People here aren’t as friendly I’m afraid. And letting you photograph their children would probably be frowned upon unless you knew them well.

@Nick – I would love the legs to take me there. Not this time I fear, I remember when the Tall Ships visited last time. I loved being amongst them even though back then my camera skills were not worth tuppence. There will be another time!

It was that ‘concentration’ that drew me to the young lady, totally lost in her talent!

@Steph – Well, a girl loves a uniform! 😉

@Gaelikaa – I have added you to my RSS so I will know when you have posted. I look forward to reading more.

@Maynard – Watch carefully, you never know where a real mermaid will pop up!

@Kate – A real pleasure!

@Baino – Glad to jog the memory… I emailed the photos to the Saskia’s mum when I got home. I love that name and want to repeat it over and over..SASKIA!

7. kenju

How nice that you are sharing the photos with them. She’s a cute girl. Unfortunately, she shares a name with the person who married my daughter’s first husband. I hope your Saskia will not be such an idiot when she picks a mate!

Sorry you missed taking a photo of a tall ship, but I think the human interest photos you ended up with are far superior. We can see photos of tall ships on the Internet, but never such good pictures of those cute girls.

The little Mermaid is really appropriately titled – she does look like the sculpture. You also got a good background of boats in the harbor and of what looks like a nice place to have lunch. (The building with the red awnings.)

It’s great to see someone using their talent like that! I wish some of those around me would(or could?) do likewise.

Maynard…Over there you have such fantastic names for rivers and things…Susquehanna River…brilliant, I know that John Smith knew it back in the 17th Century but I didn’t realise that it is the longest river in the United States without commercial boat traffic.

That must be a plus point for it. Now off to look at some pictures on line.

@Judy – It was the first time I came across that name. This young lady seems to have her head well screwed on. I can see her going places in life.

@Ramana – That I am.

@Darlene – I was so intent on capturing that expression I forgot about the background. Several restaurants have appeared in the last five years. I have eaten in the one with the awning but not for some time.

@Magpie – I love to see talent being encouraged.

Saskia is a cool name. I have deleted the surplus comments plus your personal details since you are a minor.