A Collection

Everyone has one.  It may not be like this but we all collect something.

The image above is the spine of a book and below is the front cover.

May you never lose your Plaice (Place)!

Those of you who visit this blog on a regular basis will realise that I enjoy a play on words.  The title might give a clue to what you will find as the pages are turned.  Elly; the most creative piece of handiwork I ever produced, was the inspiration for this work.  She collected books.  She had books before she could read.  Beside her bed, in the kitchen, dining room, living room and even a bundle perched on top of the cistern in the bathroom for occasions when a long sit was part of the morning routine.  Among the very early books were a couple of fabric ones with bright pictures and few words.

This book is my handiwork and one of the first projects from my City & Guilds course.  I mentioned it before and you saw the fruit of my later efforts in Creativity.  This being the first project, I was still dipping my toes in the water.  During year one, time was spent learning all the various techniques that come under the umbrella of needlework & embroidery.  We learned how to work them correctly before then venturing to break the rules and introduce our own creativity.

The fabric for the book was ‘evenweave’; fabric with a clearly defined mesh on which embroidery is worked by counting the threads.  The warp and weft threads of true evenweave should be the same thickness or the resulting stitches will not be square.  The words were worked in cross stitch and the plaice was completed in Blackwork.

The book contained 10 bookmarks, each in a different technique.

Would you like to see them?  How about more details on the techniques involved?

Let me know in the comments.

22 thoughts on “A Collection

1. Maynard

Grannymar, you are very, very talented in many ways. Your talent comes through on all of your posts. All I can say is— your “Toyboys” are very lucky!

2. Rumuuser

Having been a thread man, I can appreciate the work that has gone into it. I am however not in the same league as you. I shall simply observe what is going on here. Thank you.

@Maynard – I enjoy sewing and craft work, alas the eyes are not as good as they used to be.

@Judy – I think the camera will work overtime over the next few weeks.

@Val – Glad to oblige.

@Ramana – Feel free to comment on any of the work. In my early days here I met a man who produced wonderful tapestry work. When his eyes grew dim and the effort to great, all his threads, needles and craft items were given to me!

4. Maz

I think you should make it Crafty Wednesday and when the bookmarks run out, move onto any other pieces of your handywork that you have at home. I could do with some inspiration 🙂

@Gaelikaa – We spent the first term learning to work the techniques correctly and the second breaking the rules and beginning the three projects for the end of year examination. I found counted thread work, cross stitch and blackwork particularly relaxing.

@Maz – The ideas are forming in my mind and I am gathering items and photographing away so I will have plenty to keep me going while not very mobile.

I’m beginning to feel inadequate already….do we get to look at the back of the work? I had a great aunt whose embroidery still fools us to this day…the number of times we put the table cloths on upside down cannot be counted.

See me on the linen stalls at craft fairs and the like….

@Magpie – You found my secret! I might show the back of a sample piece one day. I believe that entering Women’s Institute needlework competitions required the back of the work to be visible. I was never a member.

@Baino – patience with craft work I had a plenty!

8. Brighid

Your Needle Art is great. Needling Wed. would be great. I would love to see the rest of your work.
    The backs of mine always look like hell, no worrying about which side is the right side here.

Brighid, I am still stitching up a name for the Wednesday spot. I just worried in case folk found it a boring idea.

10. Pingback: Grannymar » Art with my Needle ~ Week 1