Art with My Needle Week ~ Week 6

Last week I was drawing shells and left you with a puzzle.

Whatever would I do with this?

Make a trinket box?

The lid of the box I made in two pieces with a loop and a button fastening that I made in the form of a tiny shell.  The opening was an illusion as it didn’t in fact open.  The lid had an oval ‘wall’ that slid inside the base.

The clear oval wall was made using a sheet of acetate, the type used for overhead slides in the days before Power Point Presentations.  I decorated it with Machine embroidery before hand stitching it to the top.  The base I made from strong card that I covered in silk Dupion to match the lid.  The decorative stitching was achieved with handmade cords of gold and silver threads couched in place by a single strand of the silver thread.

All I need is a treasure to go inside it.  My Elly won’t fit.

The other part drawing will have to wait until next week.

13 thoughts on “Art with My Needle Week ~ Week 6

George – my eyes are not as good as they once were, but I try now and again to keep my hands in practice.

Maureen – I am seeing them with new eyes as I work through each Craft Wednesday.

My absolutely favourite section of your blog, GM, among many!!
    Your work on this reminds me of the embroidery my mother did, such fine and delicate stitchings, like a breath. You are so talented!
    Thanks for sharing, my dear!

Ramana – Elly says you should try living with her mum! 🙄 Poor Elly had come down a dress size in two weeks! Next she will be wearing my clothes! 🙁

WWW – I am reliving the making of the items while writing the posts.

What a lovely cache box. It could hold any treasure you want to put in it. I would put pretty handkerchiefs in it, (As if anyone has those anymore.) I used to have many lacy handkies from my great grandmother, but tissues have replaced them and I only have one left.
    I think I lost the others during our many moves, along with other keep sakes. They were so lovely and now, so passe.

I hope you are continuing to recover nicely Grannymar. I was thinking we might do the Cha Cha Cha when you are up to it.

5. Alice

Fancy that! I knew it would be beautiful but useful too? Don’t know if you’ve noticed but I’m not blogging but a couple times a week now. It’s because I’ve rediscovered my sewing room–and finished up a rag quilt I’ve been working on since our Las Vegas years (or at least 8 years!). So I expect I’ll be back sewing again this winter; can hardly wait.

Darlene – I remember dainty hankies and have about three left. This trinket box is way to small for them. It would hold a necklace or earrings.
    The Cha Cha Cha, will be soon enough, I am told I walked 550 steps this morning, not bad since the ground is hilly and the last lap is uphill.

Alice – I always found sewing very relaxing. I have had the needles and threads out already, doing some alteration work for Elly. A little bit each day and it is all hand sewing. Not ready to sit at the machine yet. That will come.

Magpie – It would need to be something very small.

Gaelikaa – we all learn from each other.