A Little Man

William of Orange

From 1689 he reigned as William III over England and Ireland, and as William II over Scotland.  A little man who made plenty of noise!

I know Ed Barton who made the Sculpture above, He lived in a village quite close to me.  So different from the subject of his art, Ed is a very quiet and gentle man.

I am off to prepare my topic for later in the day.  See you at 5pm ( my time)

13 thoughts on “A Little Man

1. Ian

After the Act of Union of England and Scotland of 1707, there was some agreement about the numbering of the monarchs – so Scotland went from II to IV.

I think the agreement raises problems with Charles – Scotland having already had Charles III – should Prince Charles ever become king, he might be IV or change his name, as a previous monarch (was it Edward VIII?) did

2. Maynard

It looks as if , he just had a hip replacemnet. I think it’s a walking stick (cane) , instead of another sword. Poor guy, after 300 years, his hip is still not right.
    Grannymar, I hope you heal faster than that!

Huh! Funny how our politicians seemed to think it was okay to bring in kings and such from Europe…at least the Tudors and Stuarts were born on these Islands….grumble grumble….

Mind your RG he was only carrying on where Elizabeth and Cromwell left off wasn’t he?….

Oh yes! I hope the vote goes the right way again! 😉

Rhyleysgranny – Sometimes I wonder if the noise is louder nowadays.

Nick – Do you fancy curls like that? If you were standing on a rock for years you might need two swords/poles for support! 😉

Ian – That is an interesting point about Prince Charles.

Maynard – I hope I recover faster than that.

Magpie – I saw that it was Ghandi’s Birthday today.

George – Indeed it does.

I had to find a copy of my sister’s genealogy search for my granddaughter. She has to write a paper on when her ancestor’s emigrated from England and I discovered that five Spencer brothers emigrated in 1642. A bit before William of Orange’s time. They came to this side of the pond due to high taxes and political turmoil.

Guess I had better get out my history book and see what was going on then. Did Elizabeth preceded William?

Elizabeth came long before William…. and IIRC sent people like Raleigh across to Ireland for some reason…tho’ I did hear that Raleigh was more appreciated than most English Soldiers at the time.
    He can’t have been all that bad…he had his head chopped of by that wee scot James I of England VI of Scotland. He was quite a poet too!

Apparently I have it wrong..the Raleighs held land in Ireland…more research required here I think… I hadn’t realised that he had connections with Ireland via his family.

Darlene – History was never my strong point. Perhaps Magpie will keep us right.

Ramana – I agree.