Speed

LBC Members: Ashok (if his studies allow), Conrad, Magpie 11, MariaMarianna, Ramana, Gaelikaa & Yours Truly.

On the 10th of July this year four intrepid souls, coaxed by our leader Conrad, saw the launch of the Loose Bloggers Consortium. Now with the speed of lightening we have doubled our numbers to eight.  It is wonderful to read the different takes on one word or phrase every Friday.  A little like looking across a valley at the view, eight people all standing in a row looking in the same direction, each one seeing something completely different.  I wonder who will be the next to add their name to the list.

Nick…  What about giving it a whirl?

The topic for this week – speed – was chosen by Marianna.

For the past year or two there has been a great lack of speed in my life.  As the months passed pain made movement difficult and my days of attempting to run, walk quickly or climb stairs one step, never mind two steps at a time became a dim memory.  Age was catching up with me.  I began to accept that the face in the mirror really spoke the truth, facial lines were curling down, I took on a haggard appearance and the hair was becoming dull and grey with every wash.

Then a few months ago I was given hope… I was placed on a list for hip replacement, which took place almost four weeks ago.  With the surgery my pain evaporated, smiling became automatic and magically my hair was easier to manage and somehow the colour was not a problem.

To encourage me, Nurse Hitler Elly bought me a digital pedometer – well I think I was an excuse to buy the little console that came with it.  It has games you see.  There were actually two little pedometers, she wore one and I attached the other to my waist.  Out we went for my first walk…. It was the length of three bungalows to a corner.  Turning, I slowly worked my way back uphill and home.  Eager to tell me how I did, Elly did the technical waving and clicking to call up the numbers.

Zilch!

It didn’t register one step.  Elly checked the pedometer she was wearing and it had recorded the correct number of steps.  We tried the second time, again nothing.  Thinking my footfall was light we attached it to one of my crutches, again nothing, while Elly’s worked normally.  We decided my lack of speed was the problem.  I was walking far to slow for the steps to count.  We tried it on a friend and it worked.  We attached to George and it worked.  It was just me and my very slow pace.

Elly continued to wear hers and she tried to match my pace.  Each day we increased the stride a little further.  She checked each time we returned and the steps were counted (even the pedometer was scared of her!).  I was getting somewhere; I was slowly increasing the steps with every outing.

Yesterday she had a new chant: “Distance or speed?”

I don’t remember which we chose but it registered 800 steps!

Hare or Tortoise, I am happy at the moment. 😀

Give it a week or three and the Toy boys better be on the starting blocks!

17 thoughts on “Speed

1. Rumuuser

Grannymar, the surgery has improved your ingenuity too. This is a lovely post considering what you have just been through and I doff my topi to you and to Elly. We shall soon see the mobile showing you jogging instead of some toyboy!

Conrad – You are happy? I am not sure about Elly….. she has gone down two dress sizes in four weeks! 🙄

Ramana – The secret to my recovery is a sense of humour, plenty of laughter, good food served to me and plenty of loving hugs. Thanks Elly for all the TLC. It is the perfect recipe to build me up for jogging with the Toy Boys.

Matron Steph – I am sleeping better than I have done for years, not all the way through, but with good spells.

Darlene – I’ll be watching out for the Toy Boys! 😀

Lily – You slipped in the back door while I was answering comments.
    I certainly feel I am on the right road.

Technology…..I notice that you counted the steps too! Keep going…

Now those eight people…would they all observe the speed of lights the same ? I wonder 🙂

5. Marianna

It’s wonderful that you are able to look back each week and see your ever-increasing signs of progress – both speed and distance!

I liked your analogy of the view across the valley, with each of us casting our eyes on something different.

I did a fundraising thing a few months back where I had to wear a pedometer all my waking hours . . I was sponsored for the number of steps. I found that it didn’t register if I was walking slowly across a room, had to thump around a bit. . .also it didn’t work too well in my pocket where I think it was cushioned from the shock. I ended up tying it around my ankle! You’ll get there Grannymar . . .perseverance!

7. Rhyleysgranny

When this title popped up on my blog I thought ‘OH No GrannyM has turned to drugs’ :D. I am delighted you are making progress. Every day in every way you are getting better and better or should it be speedier and speedier.

Magpie – I have my own technology… pity it only goes to twenty! 😉
    I am not sure about the eight people observing the speed of light in the same way. Someday we should all meet up and test it.

Gaelikaa – I am doing my best! 😆

Jean – Thank you.

Marianna – We all see things differently, even with a blank page; some see it as an opportunity to fill it with wonderful words, while I struggle to find the words to fill it!

Judy – I hope to be able to keep pace with them!

Baino – I must try the ankle trick.

Rhyleysgranny – The only drug that interests me is Laughter! It is the best medicine in the world. 😀

9. Judy Harper

Hey-Enjoyed your post. I’m reading and trying to get to know the LBC group. I had a total knee replacement in Dec08, it’s terrible to never have been in the hospital and not ever really be sick and then have to take six weeks off. Though I managed to convence the doctor to let me go back in four weeks. I’ll keep checking on you. Hope you have a great day!

Judy – Welcome to the party, you will be in good company here with plenty of new hips, knees and shoulders all shari8ng and helping one another. Enjoy taking part in the LBC, the only rule is to have fun.