The Sound of Silence

OMG!  This house is quiet!!!

Elly has now resigned from nursing duties and returned to her Love Nest in Dublin.  I was down there from Sunday to Wednesday afternoon.  It worked well for several reasons… she had a couple of training sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday morning, it gave me the opportunity to try a long journey in the car with one stop for coffee and a walk before getting back in for the final hour.  I was a little stiff when we arrived, but still had no pain.  The area around Elly’s house is very flat and all roads and pavements are new (no pot holes!) I managed plenty of walking without the crutches and I also practised walking up and down her stairs PROPERLY.

Yesterday I went for my review at the Hospital.  I walked in sans crutches and everyone was really pleased and amazed with my progress.  I now have permission to start driving my car once more.  Since it has a manual stick-shift, I need to practice a few exercises on the pedals first. The plan was to take the car out of the garage when we came home but the rain had other ideas.  It is also Mid-Term holiday for the schools so very wet weather, hyper kids and harassed mothers are enough to put off the first run in the car for a day or two.

Next week.  I will try it next week!

Everyone seems amazed at how quickly I got back on my feet.  I think that knowing Elly had only a limited time available to help me, was the reason.  If there was somebody calling everyday to help, then the need to push forward and try harder would not have been there.  So Great credit must go to Nurse Hitler Elly, George, Niamh, Darragh and Lesley for the part you played in my recovery.

So what restrictions are still in place?  I am not allowed to vacuum for another three weeks, never to cross my knees again or do any silly twisting.

But the good news is: I can ditch the pillow and have a toyboy between my knees if I want! 🙄

Now I will see you at 5pm…. if i can tear myself away. 😉

13 thoughts on “The Sound of Silence

1. Rhyleysgranny

Not allowed to vacuum………………great!
    The loss of chubby checker is no great shakes/twists 🙂
    You are right not to try the car today. The weather is so dark wet and dreadful.

Just enjoy the feeling of no pain. You are amazing in your progress. 🙂

2. Maynard

Grannymar, it’s time!

TO TWIST AND SHOUT! Well, wait till after 5 anyway, we need that “consortium” post first, before you hurt yourself!

Stay tunes fellow commenters, Grannymar is going to send us photos of the 1st car drive!!

Between you and me, I hope she opens the garage door first!

3. Rummuser

When I was young, we used to find ways and means to ditch what were affectionately known as gooseberries. Do you call duennas that in Ireland? We now call them Khabab mein haddi, meaning a piece of bone in the khabab.

Now, that will be a sight to see a toyboy instead of a pillow! A video post?

4. Alice

I think that vacuuming thing should be altered to “only when you really really need or want to.” Better for the knees and the back!

What else can I say? You’re an inspiration; I’ll remember you if I ever have to have (heaven forbid!) a knee or hip replacement.

Steph – I am ready for some fun, but like all things life, the price I pay for my freedom are the household chores that need regular attention.

Rhyleysgranny – The weather forcast is not very promising

Maynard – I will try to remember to open the door! I have to as there is only one door. 🙄

Ramana – Thankfully nowadays a chaperon for young girls is not required. Don’t you give my Elly any ideas or she will have somebody spying on me! 🙁

Judy – Elly is even more determined than I am…. I wonder who she got that from? 🙄

Alice – I hope you never need either surgery, but if you do Perpare, prepare, prepare! I agree about the vacuuming.

A toy boy between your knees, Grannymar? I am shocked, shocked I tell you. I do think a video is needed so we don’t get the wrong impression.

Seriously, your recovery is nothing short of phenomenal. I know that a broken hip poses a longer recovery than just a replacement, but I am still having to pull myself up steps, have pain if I overdo and vacuuming is probably out for the rest of my life. You are truly a wonder woman.

Darlene, To tell the truth, I might end up in a state of shock too! 🙄

THERE WILL BE NO VIDEOS!