Weathered Emotions

LBC Members: Ashok, Conrad, Gaelikaa, Helen, Judy, Magpie 11, MariaMarianna, & Ramana and I are all ready willing and able to turn our thoughts to Weather and Emotions the topic chosen for us this week by Conrad.

WEATHER

Horrible Weather
Staying in bed weather
Cuddling up close weather
Ignoring the world weather

Warm Weather
Go for swim weather
Take a walk weather
Picnic weather

By Alison Smith

Wet Wet Wet are a pop band that formed in Clydebank, Scotland during the 1980s. They scored a number of hits in the British charts and around the world. The band comprises Marti Pellow (vocals), Tommy Cunningham (drums, vocals), Graeme Clark (bass, vocals) and Neil Mitchell (keyboards, vocals). A fifth, unofficial member, Graeme Duffin (lead guitar, vocals), has been with them since 1983.   OK. OK. I stole this information from Wikipedia since I am not a pop fan and only knew of the band by name.  Please do not ask me to name any of their hits as I would not know them.

‘Wet Wet Wet’ in Ireland, perfectly describes our weather for most of the year.  The rain comes in more varieties than Heinz Beans!  We have clouds so heavy with moisture that they look like fog and the water therein hangs in the air to lazy to fall, so it just soaks in through your clothes and pores until it reaches deep into every bone and joint.  This is commonly known as Irish mist, not to be confused with Irish Mist, the coloured stuff that comes in bottles and Americans use to make Irish Coffee (Boy, did that send my emotions and blood pressure sky high [it is a liqueur whiskey to be savoured without addition of coffee and full cream] and even more so when I saw a clip of somebody top the drink with cream from a can!  Sure they might as well have used shaving foam. 🙄 ).

Next we have what Portia describes in The Merchant of Venice as: ‘It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven’…. It might be from heaven and it might be gentle, but when it goes on for days on end it feels more like Hell! It might well be perfect for the garden, but is certainly not perfect for my bones.  Sure ’tis no wunder so many turn to the demon drink in Ireland!

There are ‘April showers’ those short sharp showers, enough to keep down the dust and wash the faces of the flowers in readiness for the sun to peep from behind a cloud.  But being Ireland, this phenomena happens whether it is April or any of the other months, and the sun forgets to play the game properly, leaving us dull dark and damp.

Then we have winter rain, take your choice… well we don’t actually have any choice about it!  It can fall  straight and unending from a sky that is dark and menacing looming no higher than a two story house, or driving icy and slanted by the wind until it cuts into your face like a sharp dagger or pounding and bouncing off the ground like bullets from an M16 rifle.

It is all a very long way from the gentle Nursery Rhyme I learned as a child, with not a mention of rain…

Blow wind, blow
And go, mill, go:
That the miller
May grind his corn;
That the baker may take it,
And into rolls make it
And bring us some
Hot in the morn.

21 thoughts on “Weathered Emotions

1. Ursula

It’s a great shame, Grannymar, but I think you have just cured me of all romantic notions about Ireland and my desire to pay a long overdue visit.

U

2. Judy Harper

I love the rain, especially at night. I have a skylight in my bedroom, which makes the rain sound as though it’s hitting a tin roof. Beautiful post. The summer rain here is the worst, when it hot and humind. After a rain, it’s a steambath. It will even fog up the glasses!

Ramana – Not bad for an Irish drip! 😉

Conrad – It all depends on taste. To me it is like wearing a mink coat with plastic shoes!

Ursula – you will have to visit Ramana or Conrad for better weather then.

Judy – All our rain ensures the 40 shades of green for our countryside and we have no lack of water like so many other places.

4. Maria

Mar,
    You and I are like the City Mouse, Country Mouse. Only our tale would be of Mouse that lived where it was too wet and Mouse who lived where it was always too dry. I wonder if our reaction to change would be similar to those of the City Mouse and the Country Mouse?

5. bikehikebabe

I tend to feel gloomy on gloomy days, & bright on bright days. I don’t like the weather jerking me around like that.

We have a tin roof on our cabin. Wonderful. And actually we love rain here in our dry climate.

I saw the green, green, green of your country. Your rain is worth that!

BHB has it summed up beautifully…I’d love to see the green of Ireland.

Gloomy days do tend to make people gloomy and shiny days make them bright and shiny…and teaching kids on windy days can be impossible!

I love your turn of phrase here…

Helen – I hope the memories are good!

Maria – I was a City Mouse before I married… then I got swallowed up here in a small town where everyone was related to everyone else! 🙄

BHB – I do appreciate our rain…. most of the time! 😀

Magpie – Come in May/June, it is the best time to enjoy Ireland. The days are longer and brighter with plenty of new growth.

8. Marianna

I can relate, almost, to the many moods of rain. My first winter in B.C. almost made me bald. No, not because of the weather, but because of the never-ending rain and/or gloomy, dark skies.

I was used to bright, sunny, sparkling-snow -20 or colder degree F. weather for the season known as winter.

Enjoyed how you put this together, GM.

Thanks from B.C., where this eve, it is misting.

We LOVE rain . . .funny isn’t it. We had good rain last weekend and it was an excuse to curl up on the couch and watch a few movies. This weekend the grass is visibly growing! We’re still on water restrictions though, it never seems to hit the catchments. I must admit though, when it rains for more than three or four days, I get the blues. Doesn’t happen often. Hope it clears for your weekend. 30 and sunny in Sydney!

10. gaelikaa

Oh, I loved Wet Wet Wet. I wasn’t a fan, in the sense that I didn’t idolise them or collect their memorabilia but I loved to listen to the music and bought their greatest hits album.

Lovely description of the soft Irish weather! Takes me back!

11. Ursula

Ramana, you are on; we will. Are there any steps I should practice beforehand or is it free style?

Oh, Grannymar, don’t be sad: Of course I will visit the Emerald Isle (complete with oil skin and wellies) – not least because the few Irish people I have met in my life are so very warm hearted, without guile, relaxed, funny – and given to drink. And don’t I just like their accent.

A couple of days ago I was turning the pages of a lavishly illustrated National Trust recipe book covering the whole of England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The photos make you want to take up your walking stick NOW. Instead of which I will bake the Irish ‘Barm Brack’ this afternoon using a pre 1825 recipe (they say “excellent with butter and cheese”). I’ll let you know how I fared.

U

Steph – The sun put its hat on this morning and I had an early walk… it is nearly time to set out again!

Marianna – when we get bright, sunny, sparkling-snow… it lasts for only half a day before becoming a slushy mushy mess!

Baino – Believe it or believe it not, I do like rain…. but not all day everyday!

Ramana – I want photos of you dancing with Ursula.

Gaelikaa – I somehow missed the whole ‘music’ thing when I was younger. I think it is because I have very sharp hearing and dislike noise.

Ursula – since it is Halloween.. don’t for get to add a gold ring to the brack mixture before putting it in the baking tin.

13. Ursula

Grannymar, thanks for the tip. I don’t actually have any golden rings so I dropped in a penny instead. No doubt, it’ll cost me a crown when I bite on it.

The Barm Brack turned out great, even if I say so myself – just had my first slice for breakfast. The texture is fantastic, and has enough moisture to make it keep well. After last writing to you, and already having started the dough, I researched the good BB in more detail (google what else) and found, to my surprise, that most recipes seem to include dried fruit (sultanas, raisins etc) – yet the National Trust’s recipe suggests to only use caraway (a flavouring I have always liked).

Wish I could offer you a slice.

U

Ursula,

this time the National Trust have their recipes mixed up. Is there a recipe for caraway Seed cake on another page?

Barm Brack is very simple to make and does have dried fruit in it. You can find my version here

15. Ursula

Well, Grannymar, I shall be blown: My trust in the National Trust will never be the same again. Having followed your suggestion I have come to conclusion that their editor and proof reader should be fired and replaced forthwith. Does the National Trust assume that we only look at their pretty pictures of gorgeous countryside and not take the trouble to get our hands sticky with dough?

Frankly, I am shocked. Anyway, you are quite right: If ever there was a mix up; pursuing their index my research has brought up “Bara Brith” filed under ‘Wales’ (note the name similar to Barm Brack), “Fruit Loaf” which stems from the Lake District and is the one most closely resembling your own recipe (including the tea bit) and, hallelujah, snuggled right up to it on the same page “Wigs” which appears to be what I have baked.

Needless to say, confusion is mine – not that it matters since the proof is in the eating. Since I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt let’s blame the printer for the mix up.

I dare say Rhyleysgranny of Tea and Wheaten fame might be interested in this sorry saga.

U

Ursula, these mistakes happen regularly in Cookery books. Most people glance at the pictures and perhaps try one or two recipes before relegating the book to the bookshelf.

It is only when some one works their way right through the recipes that they discover the errors. Remember proof readers may no be cooks, they are mostly looking for glaring spelling and grammar mistakes.