One Memorable Day.

LBC Members: Ashok, Conrad, Gaelikaa, Helen, Judy, Magpie 11, Maria, Ramana and I, (Marianna will return after a short break) have been busy, day dreaming about…

One memorable day

the topic chosen for us this week by Ramana.

%%%%%%%

Waking to the sound of a bath being drawn for me, I slip from between the sheets and into the warm luxury of bath essence that quickly and gently removes all traces of sleep from my body.  Wrapped in a warm robe, I work my magic on my autumn glory.   A full cooked breakfast prepares me for the day ahead.

Once fully and comfortably dressed it is time to collect our packed lunches and hit the trail.

We are starting from the village of Patterdale, lying at the head of Ullswater, widely regarded as one of the loveliest of all the lakes, in the English Lake District.  Amongst the trees, of native oak, birch and hazel near the shoreline, the golden daffodils of this lake were the inspiration for William Wordsworth to write his famous “Daffodils” poem.

Our ramble takes us on a journey of 6-7miles through hamlets with such wonderful sounding names as Caudale Bridge – Caudale Quarry – Rough Edge – Stony Cove Pike – Threshthwaite Mouth – Pasture Bottom – Hartsop – Cow Bridge – Brothers Water – Hartsop Hall before winding back to Caudale Bridge and Patterdale.

The terrain means a climb of 2,150ft, through breathtaking scenery and we are content to step out together with matching stride.  Long stretches are hand in hand, soaking in the amazing wonder and sounds of nature; at peace and with no desire to break the companionable silence.

Returning to civilization in the late afternoon, there is time for a shower and a rest with the feet raised for an hour before we enjoy an aperitif.  Happy; with a glow that only comes from a day spent under the skies, the chat comes easily now as we each recall the hi-lights of our day.

The chef prepares a mouth-watering four course dinner, using fresh local produce, which is served in a lakeside Restaurant with uninterrupted views.  Being one of the warmer evenings we take an after dinner drink out on the lawn and enjoy chatting with other guests as the sky turns to a deep dark velvet with crystal clear stars.

Finally completing the circle by climbing the stairway to dreamland;  There is only one thought:- A wonderful day!

Indeed; a memorable day!

20 thoughts on “One Memorable Day.

You almost sold the lake District to me there….. the wonderful thing about having a break in an hotel is teh feeling of being looked after.

The NW of England has been through the mill of late with the weather thay have had in the past few days.

2. Rummuser

Wow! You did it. You brought the Lake District back for me. Unfortunately for me, the weather was not very good the week end that I spent there. The little inn that we stayed in, I forget the name now, was however all that your memories bring you.

3. Maria

You brought back memories of long walks with my husband and the boys when they were young. How I miss those times! Your day was most memorable and I love the stairway to dreamland ending.

4. Ursula

Oh, Grannymar, your rendition verges on the poetic.

I too have had many a memorable day in the Lake district (mainly because the English side of the family resides there). The most painfully memorable being when my future son’s father took me on my first hike there. Kitted out with NEW (don’t) walking boots purchased the day before at London’s own Lillywhites, Piccadilly Circus, my blisters were awesome at the end of it – not that I ever let on despite eventually falling way behind.

Actually, ‘blisters’ was an understatement even by British standards. And, hot tip of the day, once you are out of those boots and socks you’ll prefer walking barefoot for days – gravel or not.

U

5. steph

Grannymar,

You’re a great rambler 😉

I’ve not made it to the Lake District as yet. You make it sound very tempting.

I bet that memory has you longing for a toyboy to run your bath – if only you were allowed to take a bath 🙁

Magpie – Thay are indeed having it rough there today. I see they have found the Policeman’s body.

Ramana – The price of greenery in our countryside is alas, Rain, rain and more rain! I love the Lake District.

Maria – I seem to have awakened many memory boxes.

Judy – The North of England, both east and west has some wonderful picture book places. I miss my travels there.

Ursula – I have only had one pair of walking boots, The cost me £100 way more than ten years ago. The brand was Ecco, there are as soft, comfortable and waterproof today as they were on the first day I wore them. Thankfully I never had blisters. Mind you I always looked after my feet more than I looked after my face.

Steph – One of these days, the pleasure of a bath will be mine again!

A memorable day indeed. I can remember many similar days myself. There’s something about a long walk through beautiful scenery that refreshes the soul and banishes all those everyday worries for a while.

Nick, you have to start early in the morning before the world wakes up. Soon. Very soon, I’ll be ready to don the hiking boots once more. I looked up the side of the Cavehill to Napoleon’s Nose today, I will make a return visit up there yet. That’s a promise.

Boots! My boots were bought in 1973 and I still use them from time to time…resoled several times in the mean time and well fed with Neatsfoot oil every so often and at other times with Nikwax.
    the secret of not getting blisters is to wear at least two pairs of socks..cotton on the inside and woollen on the outside.

Darlene – Good weather in the lake District is an extra bonus.

Magpie – I bet those boots could tell a story!

11. bikehikebabe

Our hundreds of wilderness hikes have been memorable, but not in the luxurious way yours was.

One was a long ski tour & Tom kept saying we must turn around & go back. Hard to do–so beautiful & exciting. We had to run all the way back to beat the night. At night we couldn’t have gone on.

One was a very long hike when we met up with a bear with an arrow sticking out of it. (We survived.)

One was a week backpack. When we got to the cars they were all stuck in the mud–also in the wilderness. (The kids ask on these trips, “Are we in serious trouble?”)

I can’t begin to tell about the river trips in kayaks. The canyon walls & isolated places we slept were beautiful–the colors.

Nothing beats the wonderful life we’ve had. (All that was my husband’s ideas.)

Gaelikaa – They certainly had bad weather in that area today.

BHB – You really had an amazing life and some wonderful adventure.

13. Brighid

I’m sorry to hear about all the flooding over there. Are you in any danger? I don’t know where you are so, thought to ask.

Brighid, The flooding mentioned above in the the north west of the UK Mainland. I heard on the news that the late William Wordsworth’s house, he of ‘Daffodils’ fame, is flooded too.

I live in Northern Ireland- part of the UK. Yesterday, for me was a respite day of dry bright weather, while today Saturday we are back to the eternal rain once more. We did have flooding in Co Fermanagh, a lakeland county over to the west.

Way down south in the Republic of Ireland, Cork is floating once more.

A short clip can be found here.

I live on a hill, and in weather like this I am very thankful.