Inventiveness

Now you all know by this stage that I love all things Needlecraft.

There have been times in the past when I employed the most unusual objects to aid in gaining the effect I was looking for….

• Clothes pegs, to hold pleats in new curtains for the first week after hanging.
  • Spray starch and steam, instead of pressing.
  • A heated metal skewer, to pierce a small hole in something.
  • A soldering iron, to distress fabric or stop fabric fraying.  (Dangerous work needs a steady hand & great care.)
  • Greaseproof paper for pattern making.
  • Used balancing weights, from the local Kwik Fit, cleaned and covered to act as weights.

As a result my sewing box is home to many unusual objects.  There were times when I carried a hammer, multi tool, wrench, spirit level, craft knife and the essential measuring tape or three.

I always carry sewing, knitting & crochet needles, sewing, hat and hair pins, writing, drawing and tracing paper and blotting paper, screw drivers, various types of scissors, a collection of both writing and colouring pencils, pens, eraser, sharpener, and compass.

Never YET have I resorted to this:

Found at There I fixed it .com

15 thoughts on “Inventiveness

“I always carry sewing, knitting & crochet needles, sewing, hat and hair pins, writing, drawing ……………..”

How do you get all that inot those little handbags we saw?

When I was gigging PA with a folk band I always carried my insurance policy…aka tool box…the only time we didn’t take it and amp started to smoke!

Maureen – It is indeed.

Magpie – My Sewing box is actually a tool box. The base of which is where I carry most of the above items.

Judy – My thoughts exactly! 😆

Judy H – It is a sewing machine with a missing sewing foot replaced by a a hair grip/slide.

4. bikehikebabe

I have a friend that uses silverware instead of pins, to hold down the pattern to fabric for cutting. (spelling it out for the non sewers) That would make your sewing tool box extra heavy.

I’m so old fashioned I use pins for sewing seams on the machine as shown on your picture.
    Must remember to have the point of pin toward the sewing machine needle. Very awkward if head of pin meets up with the needle.

BHB,

That photo shows the incorrect way to pin fabric for sewing by machine. If you place the pin at 90° to the seam with the head at the seam edge, then it is possible to sew carefully without removing each pin as you work. Take your time until you get used to this way. Only very occasionally have I had a mishap with a machine needle.

6. bikehikebabe

OH, OF COURSE!!! I remember now.
    Isn’t it funny how you remember what you did, long before you took that sewing course?

7. Brighid

Love sewing, it comforts my soul to be making something. My sewing box is a jumble of anything that Might come in handy while sewing, or knitting, or quilting, or….