I’m wearing my PJs!

Well I am alone and within my own four walls.

If you were around here in October you will have seen them.

Earlier this week notices were put up in Tescos supermarket at St Mellons in Wales saying:

“To avoid causing offence or embarrassment to others we ask that our customers are appropriately dressed when visiting our store (footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted).”

Elaine Carmody, 24, a full-time mother of two young boys, described the ban as “ridiculous” and “pathetic”. She said she had regularly gone shopping at the store in her pyjamas until about a week ago when she was turned away when she went to buy cigarettes.

“I think it’s stupid really not being allowed in the supermarket with pyjamas on.  It’s not as if they’re going to fall down or anything like that. They should be happy because you’re going to spend all that money.”  Elaine said.

Back in August 2003, Elizabeth Webster, 43, from Ruskington, Lincolnshire, went into the Tesco store in Sleaford, Lincolnshire, wearing a pair of shorts and a bikini top because of the hot weather. A member of staff asked her to dress more suitably next time. Mrs Webster said she could not believe it.

At the time a Tesco spokeswoman said “The supermarket did not have dress code and the issue was at the store manager’s discretion, they have to balance what other customers think in the area, what customers come up and say… it’s all a question of balance.”

I can think of a lot more offensive things than pyjamas, like some women proudly leaning over the fruit displays or the cheese counter with multiple layers of naked mid-drift and their thongs showing over the top of their low slung jeans.

Taking it to another level, I remember when I had first moved from living in a city, standing in a queue with a basket full of my selected groceries waiting my turn to pay for them, when my stomach heaved and I had great trouble trying not to throw up all over the place. The store was small, stuffy, the aisles narrow and the service slow. I set the basket down exactly where I was and left the store. The reason….. The customer behind me, fully clothed right down to his wellie boots, had come into the shop from the local cattle market. He looked and smelt like he had wrestled with three dozen unruly cattle with diarrhoea!  Even his hands were filthy.  I wonder how many uncovered food items he handled before making a selection?

So what exactly is the correct dress code for shopping?

21 thoughts on “I’m wearing my PJs!

1. Nelly

I occasionally had to drive the girls to school (only when they missed the bus) in Pyjama bottoms. I would have been mortified if I’d had a breakdown!

Nelly – I too was called on at a minutes notice to take Elly to school with a heavy bag of books, games gear etc, but I always pulled on a tracksuit to cover my Pj’s. I dreaded being stopped for any reason on the way there or home again.

I’ve been debating this one on Facebook for several days! General consensus seems to be that pyjamas are unacceptable but skimpy female garments are fine. I would say the opposite myself. Surely the only proviso should be that whatever you’re wearing is decent and not titillating, and pjyamas do at least cover everything up. They are surely more suitable than cleavage-showing tops, microskirts, visible knickers, visible bras and all the other eye-watering attire one comes across.

A Times journalist walked around East London for a day in slippers, pyjamas and a pink fluffy dressing gown. She even shopped in Tesco. Hardly anyone batted an eyelid.

You should see the Police Reports on accidents that take place every day on a certain stretch of road here in Palm Beach County, Florida.

There is a young woman who has a hot dog cart along the side of that heavily travelled road and I think she made her costume out of a ball of twine.

As you approach her “Establishment” you usually see her from the back bending over to get a new hot dog bun out of her basket. At first you think she is completely nude but as you get closer you catch sight of the twine . That is, if you haven’t already crashed into the car ahead of you in which case you are too busy exchanging information to order a hot dog. She seems oblivious to the wreckage around her and just keeps selling her hot dogs and though she couldn’t care less about the carnage she creates…

I think she sells auto insurance on the side….

Nick – All the visible flesh being flaunted is more of a hazard health wise, now I wonder if I wandered about showing flesh….. would they pay me to cover up? 😉

Nancy – I think she was after more than an all over tan.

6. steph

Grannymar

These days, many of the bigger hospitals have a selection of shops, coffee docks, juice bars etc. for staff, patient and visitor use. Nobody bats an eye at those ‘shopping’ in their nightwear.

I wonder if this has contributed to the trend of wearing pyjamas to the shops?

7. Ian

Grannymar,

The disturbing thing is that someone still in their pyjamas has probably not washed/showered that morning 🙁

I think it’s reasonable to expect people to conform to half civilised standards.

8. Nelly

I hear that the pyjama wearing classes have day pyjamas which they put on during the day and other attire that they wear at night.

Nick did post on Facebook about a journo who wondered round London for a day in her fluffy pink dressing gown. Nobody seemed to care. Out here it’s shirts off for the boys. I must admit, I prefer them to keep them on unless they’re at the beach. Bare feet on the other hand are common but most wear thongs (flip flops) when it’s hot. Must admit,I’ve run up to the local service station in my PJ pants once or twice when there’s been no milk for that early morning cuppa. Then my PJ’s are yoga pants so nobody really knows I’ve spent the night sleeping in them!

Steph – In hospitals it is the norm to see people wandering about in Pj’s. Most patients do not have day clothes with them.

Ian – Unfortunately wearing day clothes is no guarantee that the wearer has washed or showered.

WWW – It is one area where I find it difficult to agree with you.

Nelly – So are the marketers of these clothes are at fault then?

Baino – I am old fashioned…. semi dressed is for the house or perhaps the garden, but I would never go down the street like that. Going to the supermarket I always have a jacket – when I approach the chiller or freezer sections my body goes cold.

11. gaelikaa

I don’t think it matters what you wear when you go shopping as long as you are covered and reasonably decent so as not to cause offence to other people, whether you are male or female.

One man’s pyjamas may very well be another man’s designer outfit. It’s all in the mind I tell you!

I missed this post yesterday

Pyjamas
    Date: 1800

1 : loose lightweight trousers formerly much worn in the Near East
    2 : a loose usually two-piece lightweight suit designed especially for sleeping or lounging

No 2 (lounging) reminds me of upper class country house parties as in films or such louche individuals asGorge Melley for some reason.

I object to the unpleasant sight of people who have let their appearance slip parading a round in next to nothing… I also admit to preferring to see poeple smartly dressed and to being smartly dressed myself…I just cannot afford it these days…

Have to say that Pyjamas can look quite smart and would certainly be an improvement on some costumes…

I remember young women wearing nightdresses to formal “dos” when I was at college and in the 70s.

As for those Hot Dog Girls…. well they were utilising their assets!

13. Rummuser

I am glad that I live in India. What we wear at home and what we wear when going out are the same for those who prefer the Indian dress like I do. It is unfortunate that many Indians are compelled by expectations to ‘dress’ in totally unsuitable for Indian climate, clothes for going out. It is really pathetic to see people wearing modern clothes and being uncomfortable, rather than comfortable clothes suitable for the Indian climate.

I can pontificate now. I went through a life time of wearing uncomfortable colthes to make my bread and butter and now am enjoying the jam wearing suitable Indian clothes.

The Internet is full of people in funny clothes shopping in Walmart. I suspect that you have also been exposed to those. I however think the Tesco is carrying it too far. If the customer is comfortable wearing what she is wearing in public, what is the big deal?

Magpie – Yes! I have an idea and it is all your fault. 😆

Ramana – we wear the same clothes at home as well as out doors, mind you, for many months of the year we need to add extra layers when venturing outside.

Now that I have joined the ranks of the retired I notice my fashion has relaxed a little. I still like to ‘tidy up’ if meeting someone for lunch or dinner, I see it as a form of respect for the person I am meeting.

15. Alice

Well, if that ain’t all! I was trying to decide what I felt about wearing pajamas to shop, and paused to look down at myself. My gosh! I’m wearing pajamas and it’s nearly 10 a.m. in the morning. But I am at home, and I’m fully covered so even if I accidentally walk by a mirror I won’t crash into anything. Seriously, I think there are more serious things in the world to worry about–like not being able to get enough sleep, for starters. I have resorted to an occasional Tylenol PM to help me sleep, but learned from a pharmacist lecturing at my school that the sleep ingredient used is benadryl which is a drying agent, and will dry your whole body out. Living in the southwest, I have enough trouble staying adequately hydrated as it is, so I gave that up. Now I have good luck sleeping most of the time. The trick for me–when I can accomplish it–is to keep pushing all those thoughts away that come crowding into my head in the wee hours and refusing to think about them, sort of like self-hynopsis I guess. Like Gone with the Wind heroine Scarlet O’Hara “I’ll think about that tomorrow”. Works reasonably well. I find that sooner or later, I’ll fall into bed at 7 pm one evening and wake up at 6 am the next morning. It’s chronic, and eventually the pattern starts all over again but, like you, I refuse to resort to sleeping pills–not even that Tylenol PM.

Alice – I have three more pairs just ironed and ready if you want to ring the changes. The lack of sleep is just a way of life to me now. I have learned to work round it.