Modern Myths

Our Loose Blogging consortium includes Anu, Ashok, Conrad, Gaelikaa, Ginger, Judy, Magpie 11, Maria, Ramana and yours truly. At one point all of us produced a piece on the topic for the week – at the chosen time. Recently the call of work, study or family concerns, have prevented some members from turning their thoughts to the topic for that day, This weeks offering was chosen by Ramana.

Modern Myths

The mists of time tend to blur the edges of what we have learned, so modern myths are born and believed.

There are many life science books that contain a drawing of a tongue with different regions marked, sweet, bitter, sour, and salty.  This myth started as a misinterpretation of research reported in the late 1800’s.
Many scientists do not believe in the ‘tongue map’ (like in the picture below).  They say that you can taste sweet, sour, bitter or salt at any place on the tongue.

Any of the tastes can be detected by any of the regions.  The actual organ of taste is called the “taste bud.”  There are approximately 10,000 taste buds in a human tongue when you are born..
Animals can even have more.

You need your tongue to taste food. Agreed.  But you also use it to chew, swallow, talk, sing and kiss.  We might think of the tongue as one muscle, but it is actually a group of muscles. These muscles run in different directions to carry out all the tongue’s jobs.  The front part of the tongue is very flexible and working with the teeth it helps create  different types of words.  It also helps you eat by helping to move food around your mouth while you chew. The tongue pushes the food to your back teeth so the teeth can grind it up.

The nose lets us smell and it’s a big part of why we are able to taste things.  Thus when you have a cold we lose the sense of taste.

Did you know…. .

• That cats can not taste sweet things.
  • That flies taste with their paws.
  • That snakes smell with their tongue.

Did you know that:

“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, tasted or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.”

That is no myth, modern or otherwise, it is FACT!

16 thoughts on “Modern Myths

1. Maria

I can’t imagine what it would be like not to be able to taste. I had not even realized there was a tongue map, but I remember taste tests in high school where when blindfolded, some things tasted different than when recognized by the eye. Of course, that was so long ago, that I can’t remember what foods were in the test.

Loved your last thoughts about the best things in life. So true. So true.

Maria – If I overdo the coffee I lose my taste for all food. Now coffee has become a special treat.

Judy – Maybe it is just the idea of food from your dish that attracts them.

Keith – I never knew that cats could taste water differently to humans.

3. Conrad

GM, this post is in impeccably good taste! As usual.

But, if you want to enhance the taste of something, add a little Mayo!

Conrad – With the wonders of the internet, I saw Mayo work those crutches a little earlier!

Butterflies also taste with their feet (never thought of flies as having ‘paws’ makes them sound rather cute and they’re anything but!)

6. bikehikebabe

You say, “You need your tongue to……kiss. ” Errrrrrr, I never learned to kiss with my tongue. Think about all that Slimy Saliva, full of flu & cold germs, rotting food that you didn’t have time to floss away. It’s called spit, which is not a pleasant term.

But tongues are very useful otherwise.

Baino – Until this moment, I have never thought of butterflies tasting anything. I know the antennae were for sucking in liquids.

BHB – Tongues are indeed very useful. As for kissing…. you stick to what works for you.

WWW – They people can taste the music and some see it in colour!

Ramana – Thanks.

8. bikehikebabe

“WWW – The people can taste the music and some see it in colour!”

That’s true. I’ve read some people see colours according to the sounds, when hearing music.

And maybe light music tastes sweet & somber music, bitter.

9. bikehikebabe

I don’t smell or taste music, but I definitely HEAR it.

My husband has on droning classical music while he is working. He doesn’t hear it, but I hear every nuance. It’s distracting for me.

BHB – I normally have the radio or music on in the background, but if I really need to concentrate, I like silence.

Maria – There is nothing so frustrating as the computer acting up. I hope your problems are solved now.