Life of Riley

Life of Riley‘ was a phrase I heard many times when I was young.  It meant I had good or comfortable life.

Other phrases used on a regular basis were:

Money for old rope

Cheap at half the price

A flash in the pan

Under the weather

Jumping the gun

Keep your shirt on

Raining cats and dogs

All at sixes and sevens

Take it with a grain of salt

Dressed to the nines

What phrases do you remember from your young life?

11 thoughts on “Life of Riley

1. nick

A chip off the old block was quite a common one. Though in my case I must have been a chip off someone else’s block because my father and I were poles apart on all sorts of things.

2. Mayo

Throw the cow over the fence some hay.
    A big wife and a big barn never did any man harm.
    We get too soon old and too late smart.
    Outen The Lights.
    Children and fools tell the truth.
    Kissing wears out, cooking don’t.
    Short hair is quickly brushed.
    An industrious wife is the best savings account.
    It wonders me.
    Throw Amos down the stairs his hat.
    Eat yourself full.

Above–Pennsylvanis Dutch sayings

3. Rummuser

spic and span; boys don’t cry; easy does it; it can wait; elbow grease; elbow exercise; smelling of roses; stitch in time saves nine; spinach is good for you; tell me another; God is watching;etc

I suppose that if I had more time, I can come up with many more.

Nick – i was certainly a chip off my mother’s block, I look and do things just like she did.

Steph – Some people thought yesterday, that I was going to kick the bucket. They forget I am a tough old bird.

Mayo – Wow that is some list, and quite a few new ones for me to learn.

Ramana – Many a time I heard ‘A stitch in time’, mind you I was the one doing the stitching!

Be careful what you wish for;Don’t cry over spilt milk:A cat can look at a king – hey it’s 6am here so the brain isn’t in gear but I use sayings all the time!

Baino – Be careful what you wish for, was a regular and one we should all pay heed to.

Ooh! What happened to my contributions?

Mayo, I heard most of yours in slightly different versions as a kid in Norfolk. I remember “too soon old, too late smart” and “children and fools”

Steph’s too and Ramana’s and Baino’s :

He’d fall in a dung heap and come up smelling of roses. Is familiar.

A pen’orth of straw, a pound a head more. from Reggie Watts, with whom my father worked. He was putting straw on te yard of soem cattle to be sold.

Ship shape and Bristol fashion…..

Now I must click on Submit Comment

Magpie – They didn’t show here and I checked and double checked the Moderation and Spam folders.