Art with a Needle ~ Week 50

This week I actually have something to show you! 😀

For many years there has been a hook on the wall between my fridge and the pantry door.  You are looking at the back of this item – the more usual way to hang it.  Turning it round you might see the contents.

My Peg Bag

It was a stop gap peg bag to replace the one that was here when I arrived thirty three years ago.  Looking faded, frayed and the worse for wear, I decided to replace it with a remnant of fabric on a temporary basis, seven years ago.  I had intended to make a proper peg bag and only this week completed the task.

I had a large collection of pegs so the new bag needed to cater for all of them with ease.

The bag from the inside.

Turning it right side out it looked like this:

A little girl’s dress

Confession time!  I didn’t have a pattern, so paid a visit to a charity shop and found this little gem.  It looked like it had never been worn – perhaps the mother did not like the colours or want to dress her daughter as a doll.  There may have been other reasons…. but we won’t go there.

The dress was fully lined and this made my job easier.  I pleated the base of the lining and cut two old handkerchiefs into circles and hand stitched one to the inside of the lining and the other to the outside of the lining to add strength and give a neat finish.

I removed the three buttons from the back opening and turned in the edges to form a neat V.  I stitched the belt on the underside so that it stayed in place.

Once placed on the hanger the back of the bag looked like this:

Plenty of room to remove or replace the pegs!

Now if you are a mother or a grandmother and know of a special dress that a young lady has outgrown, why not give it a new life as a peg bag.

14 thoughts on “Art with a Needle ~ Week 50

GM:
    You never cease to amaze me with your creativity!
    Have you thought of making a business out of these?
    I’d be first on your list to buy! My old canvas bag pales in comparison.

Your peg bag is very cute and clever. You are one creative lady. I would have no use for it, however, as I haven’t used a clothes pin (our name for pegs) in more years than I can remember.

Baino – I suppose bringing the pegs indoors comes from habit. Not alone was it part of mammy’s routine, but she boiled the wooden pegs once a year. The dust and smuts from coal fires leave the pegs dirty and they then leave marks on the clean damp washing.

WWW – I once charged for a project, the person did not like my bill, she though I would do it as a thank you job. I would not mind but she ASKED me to do it and it took me over ten hours of work. I am happy doing things for Elly and myself these days.

Darlene – I line dry my washing when possible and I also have a couple of lines in the garage for wet weather.

Rose – Perhaps I will try it one day soon, but our shops in the UK and Ireland are trying to stop us using plastic bags and instead use cotton or reusable bags. I remember the days when we brought shopping bags with us to carry messages each time we went out.

5. Alice

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, “You are so clever.” I love it. Now do you cover your vacuum cleaner with a bigger dress and apron?

6. stwidgie

I love it! On our trip to France in May our friends let us do some laundry and hang it out on their clothesline to dry. I enjoyed it, and I remembered my grandma’s clothesline which was really more of a tree. It was sort of like an umbrella, and when she set it up and hung a sheet or blanket on each of the four sides, I had the best garden house a little girl could want.

So I went scouting online to see if such things still existed, and to my delight found a specialty shop dedicated to all things clothesliney. A surprisingly affordable purchase later, I am now trying to convince Himself that digging a hole in our back yard and filling with the special sleeve and some cement would really not be a big deal nor interfere with the lanwmowing. I have a big set of clothespins from Mama’s house, and if I can be persuasive, I will soon need exactly what you made! I like the idea of finding something at a thrift shop; I’ll give it a go. I need to hurry though, not too many weeks of fine drying weather left.

Stwidgie – Those ‘whirlygigs’ – umbrella clothes lines are handy for small gardens and can be removed when not in use. I live on high ground and use a straight closeline across the garden, on occasions the clothes almost blow in the back door! It is great for drying.