Two wheels

The Dublin of my childhood and youth has changed.  Now it has taken a tip from Amsterdam, and It is fast becoming a city of cyclists again.  450 specially-made bicycles are available from 40 stations run by the JC Decaux company, are free for the first half hour of use.  It is an effort by the Dublin City council to reduce carbon emissions and make the Irish capital a green city.

Beside each bank of bikes is a pay station.

You need a credit card to use one of the bikes.  The machine is free for the first half an hour, but costs €0.50 ( ($0.67) for the first full hour, and €6.50 for four hours. This ensures that riders don’t leave them lying around, otherwise the final charge on their credit card would be substantial.Subscription for the 3 Day Ticket costs €2, which is debited from your account at the end of the subscription period. The Long Term Hire Card costs €10 and is taken from your credit card, or your bank account by direct debit. Please note that VISA Electron and Laser Maestro debit cards are not accepted.

On subscription, you also authorise the provider to request a €150 guarantee from your account. This amount will not be debited unless the bike is not returned after a period of 24 hours.

Both subscriptions allow you to rent a Dublin bike as many times as you wish during the period covered by your subscription. However, if you exceed the first half hour which is free, the service charge is debited at the end of the subscription period (in the case of the 3 Day Ticket), or monthly (in the case of the Long Term Hire Card).

BIKE HIRE FEES
First ½ Hour : free
1 hour : €0.50
2 hours : €1.50
3 hours : €3.50
4 hours : €6.50
Every extra ½ Hour : €2

I’m not sure about cycling in traffic with this hip of mine, so I’ll use Shank’s mare as usual.

13 thoughts on “Two wheels

1. Mayo

I bicycled 11 miles yesterday, the only charge I got was a sore butt and scrotum. The only gas I used was my own.
    Grannymar, great idea .

2. Mike Goad

That’s interesting. I’ve heard of other ideas like this that didn’t work out because of the bicycles being abused or not returned. Requiring a credit card to use them might go a long way towards making it viable.

3. paulo1

We’ve had a system like this in Montreal for the last few years. It’s called Bixi and after a few months of trouble shooting problems with the docking stations and some inevitable vandalism it’s become a huge sucess with bixi-riders tootling all over town. Unfortunately with our winters it’s available only eight months a year but you shouldn’t have that problem in Ireland.

4. Carole

Here in the Yukon (Canada), it wouldn’t be worth it with only a few months without snow, but I still love the idea! We do have die-hards who cycle at 40 below, however.

RG – How would be on cobblestones? There are still a few streets with them.

Mayo – Eleven miles! No wonder you were sore. Are you able to sit down today.

Mike – I think Paris had a problem with theft. I saw quite a few of them in use today in different locations.

Paulo1 – The main problem in Dublin is the amount of traffic and the often damp roads.

Carole – I would never put my nose outside the door in -40°, never mind sit on a bicycle.

WWW – I think it would be a great stress-buster as well as help the environment.

Val – I don’t think it is any worse than when I was a child. Back then there were plenty of bikes criss crossing in and out of the rows of cars.

Fantastic idea, I think they do it in Paris as well. One of the best ways to get around a city I think, well other than shank’s pony of course, all too familiar with that ride!

Baino – Yes! They do have this service in Paris, maybe you will have the opportunity to try it and report back after your visit.