Art with a Needle ~ Week 53

Maybe you were expecting to see some more experiments with the aluminium cans, but the truth is that I am not a big fan of carbonated drinks.  I do have a few cans waiting to be opened and a couple of people keeping a specimen or two for me to play with, but that is for the future.

Today I have another experiment …..

I only have the one photo for you.  I did try with both the phone and the camera but it was impossible to get closer detail.

It is a sample of crocheted beading wire with beads attached.  A slow, very slow process.  It takes time to work with the wire as unlike wool or thread, the wire has no ‘give’ in it.  It is a project for an ‘untidy’ worker as the stitches are seldom uniform.

I only became aware of this technique on my recent visit to The Point Village Market in Dublin.

Perhaps my choice of beads were not the best as most of them disappear in this tiny sample.  I did have rather grand ideas when starting out but it is so frustratingly slow.  Now that is not something you hear me say very often when it comes to craft work.  I am usually happy fiddling away for hours on end and almost need an alarm clock to remind me to eat!

I will try the technique again and I see many possibilities, but there are several unfinished projects to tackle and complete before I go there.  I tell you of my successes so it is only fair to tell you about my disasters too.

10 thoughts on “Art with a Needle ~ Week 53

WWW – My father had a saying ” Every fault is a fashion”, mind you looking at the Catwalks from time to time I might agree. Some of our knitting and crafty disasters can produce interesting results, while others are only suitable for the scrap basket.

2. ladymagpie

Hi grannymar & apologies everyone for the out of context communication, but I did like the unusual use of beading wire. Message from Magpie that he will be out of touch for a while as he is in hospital with tachycardia. Please could you put something on on his facebook wall[he says] Ta

Ladymagpie welcome to my blog. I am sorry to hear about Magpie 11. Please pass on best wishes for a speedy recovery from all the gang. I will certainly post a message on his facebook wall.

I think your effort is very pretty. It looks like lace. I will not be trying this type of craft, though, as my hands ache just thinking about working with wire.

Darlene – I was trying to achieve a lacy look. Perhaps it is my tidy mind that sees the piece as amateurish and cheap. I realise the photo hides a multitude of flaws (as I see them), but with time and patience it might improve. I think as I age the patience is running out.

6. bikehikebabe

Will you sell it to me? I love jewelry. I get the feeling that the balance would be better if a little something was added at the top. Maybe round out the corners on top. Maybe you ran out of beads, or t-i-m-e or maybe you don’t agree.

“…need an alarm clock to remind me to eat.” Now there’s a good weight reduction plan.

BHB – Cynthia the piece is in an unfinished state. I became frustrated at how slow it was and needed some kind of photo for the post. I may turn it into a decoration for my Christmas tree before I am finished.

About the alarm clock and eating…. alas, I do not need to lose any weight, and am far too fond of my food to forget about it altogether.

8. Alice

Where do you come up with these ideas?! I’m with Darlene, though. Makes my fingers ache just thinking of trying to crochet with bead wire.

Alice – I saw a stall at the market with bracelets and rings made from beading wire and of course I had to try it!