Nora & Santa

Nora, the organiser of the Diddly, always took me to town for a day in the run up to Christmas.  As I mentioned before she had no children, so I was her child for the day!  WE went to see Santa before we had lunch, it was as much a thrill for her as it was for me.

In Ireland there was a charge for the visit to see the great man, I suppose it covered the cost of the gift.  In every Santa grotto across the land were two large barrels or boxes, one pink and one blue.  These large containers were manned by Santa’s helpers dressed as elves.  You guessed it – pink for the girls and blue for the boys.

One year while I sat on Santa’s knee chatting away forty to the dozen – probably telling him all the family secrets 😆 I was handed my gift.  Once outside his grotto I excitedly removed the wrapping to find a carpentry set, I was delighted, now I was as good as my brothers with my own hammer and saw etc.

Poor Nora, she was devastated.  She saw me coming away with a pretty doll or girly game.  Nothing would have it, but we go back inside to sort out the mix up!  With much apologising to Nora and to me, my parcel was exchanged for another one about twice the size of the original.

This time it was a doll.  She came with two dresses, socks and shoes.  Nora was delighted and she quickly took me off to have lunch.

Somehow, I think that was the day the magic died.

9 thoughts on “Nora & Santa

1. nick

How absurd that she wouldn’t let you have the present you actually wanted but insisted on your having a gender-appropriate one. I’m not surprised that was the day the magic died.

Nick – Nora thought she was being kind, after all with all my brothers, our house was full of ‘boy toys’.

WWW – It was over fifty years ago.

Gaelikaa – Nowadays we do not have the strict lines like we did back then.

Ah I remember Santas grotto in some huge store in Manchester. All I wanted was a pair of Cindarella Slippers, took me years but I did finally get the little pink plastic sparkly things. Out here Santa just sits in the middle of the shopping centres, no gift, no elves. Shame really it’s just not magical at all.

5. Alice

I hope you liked the doll in time. I would have so happy at that exchange, a doll and extra clothes to boot, but we’re all different. The magic died for me the year I snooped in Mama’s closet and found the little ceramic bird that was my present from Santa that year–along with the new coat I needed (several sizes too large so it would last). Thank goodness I grew up. But it took a long time to get over that one.

Alice – The only ‘doll’ I ever really loved was the one who came to see me today! Mind you she has grown since the first day I took her into my arms and heart! Safe home Elly… and George!