Saturdays

How Saturdays have changed.

When I was young, we had to attend school on a Saturday.  Classes ran from 9am. until 12.30pm.   Inter-schools sports games were always in the afternoon.  I was not sporty, so I came home to lunch and an afternoon of household chores and food shopping.

In my first job, I worked alternate weekends, although if we found someone to switch duties with, we were then free at that time.

Now my Saturdays have no set pattern.  I no longer have the routine of going to an office five days a week, so Saturday , Monday or Thursday they are all just the same.  There are times when I need to look at the bottom right hand corner of the screen or at my phone to see what day it is.

Living alone, who knows what I get up to.  If you phoned me I might tell you that I was….

• In bed with Ted and intended staying there all day.
  • Standing on a ladder painting the ceiling with a brush in each hand.
  • Drinking Champagne with a Handsome Toyboy.
  • Writing my memoirs and did not want to be disturbed.
  • Packing for a world cruise.

How do you spend your Saturdays?

16 thoughts on “Saturdays

1. Mike Goad

It depends on whether I’m working a contract, at home not working, or traveling not working.

Since I’m working a contract now, we have to get things done on the weekend. Today we’re going car shopping to replace the car that was totaled in the accident.

If I’m at home not working, it’s just like any other day.

If we’re traveling, we keep up with what day it is because popular campgrounds tend to fill up on the weekends, so, if we’re going to be at one of those we try to be there by Thursday evening or have a spot reserved. The other option is to make sure we’re going to be somewhere that’s not so popular.

Funny how your perception of days change. It really throws Karen off for a little while when I get done with a contract since, when I’m working, if I’m home during the day, it’s generally a weekend.

Have a great rest of your weekend!

2. Maria

I have ten delightful friends who formed a Widow’s Group about ten years ago. It is fondly called, “Good Grief”, I am the only one who remarried, but two others are in commited relationships. This doesn’t matter to anyone. Our friendships formed at a great time of need for each of us, continue to deepen and grow.

We meet every Saturday morning at 7 AM at a local coffee house. We drink coffee or tea, indulge in cinammon or danish rolls, and talk about our lives.

The reason Saturday morning was chosen was because as new widows it was the most difficult day for us. We missed our husbands as the promise of the week-end was upon us and our families were often involved in their own activities.

Many of us have found travelling companions in the group. We go to shows and dinner together out of town and keep each others spirits up.

It is almost seven and as soon as I submit this I am off to meet these wonderful friends.

3. Mayo

Only speaking for Ted— What a lucky Ted!!!!!!!!!

I’m making some sparkling wine, want me to send some over?
    It may rev up the Toyboys more!

I sometimes meet with a group of friends earlier in the day and will go for a long walk along the shore or some new spot with Ansa, sometimes a movie (tho what a load of rubbish is in these days!), sometimes like today (with a rotten pain in my back) I am on line or watching Gordon put in the French doors on the cabin. It is a rainy wet day here in Newfoundland.

5. nick

In reality of course, you’re just about to start your new chat show, Grannymar Live, with a bevy of charismatic celebs lined up for the famous Grannymar settee.

Jenny and I are preparing to give a little dinner party this evening, so we’re looking forward to some lively company and conversation.

Ramana – I think they are the best kind, it gives us the freedom to float on the wind of the day.

Mike – You have great variety to your Saturdays.

Maria – I was once invited to join a widow’s group. They called themselves Minus ONE! Not for me thank you, I did not want to go through the remainder of my life like a jug without a handle. Most of this group were happy to live in the past and weep into a lace handkerchief, afraid to smile or laugh. To me that would have been an insult to Jack’s memory. Your group sounds just right to me – living in the moment!

Mayo – Remember me when the sparkles are ready to pop!

WWW – Hope your back ache improves real fast. Stay warm. I would love to live by the sea, especially in winter. The cabin seems to be coming on in leaps and bounds.

Nick – Enjoy the the evening with your friends.

8. Maria

The group you described would depress me, too. Even their title is full of self-pity. I just came back from coffee and so much laughter, my stomach hurts.

I have a feeling you would fit in perfectly with this group!

Saturday is normally cleaning, gardening, washing day but this weekend I’ve been on leave for a couple of weeks so spent it sitting by the pool and yep, talking to a toy boy.

10. bikehikebabe

I’d like to join Maria & her friends on Sat.

My saturdays are same ole, same ole. Mostly things I want done.
    My friend Jean (CheerfulMonk blog) said, “Why do you think work is more important than play? 🙂

11. bikehikebabe

I forgot. There’s always skiing or biking, hiking most every day. And TV at night. Not too bleak.

Hi Everyone,

Now you know I was in bed all day Saturday and for a few days thereafter.

Thankfully now I am feeling better and Tobias was returned from the computer hospital. 😀 I hope to return to blogging in the next couple of days. Thanks for your patience.