I Talk to the Trees

I was listening to the radio, well make that half aware of the sound coming across the airwaves the other day when I found myself quietly singing along.  The song was I talk to the trees from Paint Your Wagon by Lerner & Loewe.

I talk to the trees
But they don’t listen to me
I talk to the stars
But they never hear me
The breeze hasn’t time
To stop and hear what I say
I talk to them all in vain

I have been known to talk to the trees…..
When suddenly straightening up from weeding a border only for a branch to poke me in the small of the back or when a sudden gust of wind whisks a branch dripping with rain, to land right across my face.  Noting very romantic in that, is there! 🙁

I have heard the HRH Prince Charles talks to his plants, I tried talking to my weeds nicely…. But they don’t listen and just keep on growing.

I have a friend who talks to herself, no she is not the one I want to tell you about today, it is the other one, the one who talks to a rock.

TALKS TO A ROCK!

Well it is more like a fancy boulder in her garden and it has a seat beside it. Hail, rain or blistering sunshine (not that common in Ireland), when she is troubled she goes and sits on that garden seat and talks forty to the dozen to the Rock.

Refrain;
But suddenly my words
Reach someone else’s ears
Touch someone else’s heartstrings, too
I tell you my dreams
And while you’re listening to me

I suddenly see them come true

Who hears your secrets?

15 thoughts on “I Talk to the Trees

1. Rummuser

I don’t have secrets! I however have the luxury of a very special person with who I chat everyday and there is nothing that I keep hidden in those chats. You can say, that daily chat is my daily FIX!

2. nick

Well, Jenny hears all my secrets, except maybe one or two that I wouldn’t divulge to anyone. I don’t talk to the trees but I do talk to myself, a habit I inherited from my father. Jenny finds it a bit disconcerting.

Ramana – we all need to have somebody like your daily Fix.

Nick – Do you talk aloud? Elly used to talk in her sleep. She would….. Oh wait now! She reads this, so I better not tell you.

Grannymar,

I enjoy talking to myself because I get such intelligent answers, good ideas and NO arguments…

What I do is I pick up the beachstones on the shore and I whisper my secrets or requests or troubles and I toss them in the water.
    It works.

6. Delirious

Oh my….I read that over and over, and kept reading, “Prince Charles talks to his pants.” I really need some glasses. And I kept thinking, “Why would he talk to his pants?” :S

WWW – I often toss the stones across the surface of the water. Next time I must remember to whisper to them first!

Delirious – That is so funny. I actually scrolled back up to see if I had made a mistake. 😆 I see that rascal Ramana is having fun playing with words again.

Ramana – Trust you!

8. nick

I do talk aloud. How embarrassing is that? But to echo Nancy, I talk to myself because I’m the most intelligent person I know (Woody Allen).

Nick – No need for embarrassment, just put those little ear bud thingies in and everyone will think you are an important CEO conducting a meeting overseas!