Déjà vu

I read and subscribe to a wide variety of blogs.  Some pop up as regularly as breakfast, while others are more like seasonal treats.

Padmini is the sister of Ramana, a regular commenter here, and she has recently joined our Loose Bloggers Consortium.  This and That, There and Here was added to Padmini’s portfolio in March of this year.  I wonder if she realises what that blog does to me?  The blog-face is simple clean, and straightforward to navigate and comment on, with Twenty Ten the chosen Theme.

I eagerly open up to read the latest entry….. yet each time I am stopped in my tracks.  Ramana might call it Synchronicity.

The header picture catches my eye and I am frozen on the spot.  It is a Déjà vu moment.  “I know this place!  I know that man! And I know why that golden retriever likes to go walking with him every day.” are the thoughts running wildly round my brain.

I need to wind back the clocks twenty five years or more…..

We were staying with mammy in Dublin for a few days.  My eldest brother and his family always made time to catch up with us when we went down to Dublin.  This trip was no different.

During the evening he produced a little gift for Elly.  It was a laminated placemat with a picture.  I think that the photo was originally produced by John Hinde for a postcard or calendar.

It was not the usual type of picture to give a child, but this meant something to Elly and more so to me.

The picture was enough to stop my brother in his tracks as he walked through his local Stationers/Bookshop.  It stopped him long enough to purchase half a dozen placemats for his nieces and nephews.

My brother recognised the area and the walk.  It was in County Kildare and the man was James.

Our picture was taken in much closer, but the shape and the walk are the same.  The dog this time round is walking and sniffing along the verge on the left hand side.

Uncle James was Daddy’s youngest brother.  We would recognise that shape anywhere.  My late uncle James did not own a dog, but another of my brothers was able to tell us that the Golden Retriever went walking with our uncle every day because………….

Not sure I should tell you why…..

No way!

OK, my uncle fed the dog a Mars bar.  I cringe when I think about it!

I noticed the other day that Donncha now has the same Header.

18 thoughts on “Déjà vu

1. Rhyelysgranny

What an amazing story. I love the fact that your Uncle James paused at a shop every morning to buy his furry friend a Mars bar. It adds a touch of humour to the picture. Did Uncle James know the picture was being taken do you know?

2. Rummuser

This is the best case of synchronicity that I have yet come across indeed. It is remarkable in that, so many things had to come together to get the story in place. I am sure that Padmini will be delighted.

Rhyelysgranny – Welcome back. I really missed you. The problem is that chocolate is very bad for dogs, in fact it is dangerous. I doubt if James knew the picture was being taken, but my brothers certainly showed it to him when they saw the placemat.

Ramana – I thought you would enjoy that. I am not sure where our placemat went, but thankfully my sister had hers and I borrowed it when I was in Dublin last week.

4. Padmini Natarajan

I have a confession to make!! The choice of picture to decorate my mast head ewas entirely wordpress mechanics. They gave it to me when I registered and I liked it as it carried the symbolism of my blog title—I may have the jargon wrong but you know what i mean.

I have always felt that people come into our lives with a purpose. Some are like rail friends..when you get off the train they disappear. Some are like a long forgotten sense, a smell, a redolance that whiffs with remebrance and gets rejuvenated at once. Some come in like a gentle breeze and refresh your thoughts, feelings and sensations.

Grannymar is the like a breeze alright–strong sometimes, gentle other times. mischievous while she whirls like a whirlygig and soothing most times.

I am glad Uncle James is not merely a shadowy walker on a woodsy path but a real person. Slan Grannymar.

5. Brighid

After reading Padmini’s comment it’s even more interesting synchronicity….
    the description of you as a breeze is interesting as well. Do you think it fits you? I sure do.

Padmini – I realise that Twenty Ten comes with a selection of header images that you can switch between or even change to upload your own.

I too feel that people come into our lives with a purpose. Some are like angels sent to guide us through difficult times and even they do not know that they were sent on that mission. Maybe a friend is someone who when you meet you feel you know them all your life and time or distance is no obstacle.

Uncle James would have liked your ‘sign out’, He was a teacher of the Irish language. 😀

Brighid – A breeze? Now let me see… 😆 Not sure where on the synoptic scale I would fit.

8. Alice

That really is an inspiring story telling picture…whets the imagination, I expect, with stories as varied as the people who look at it! As a child I too was given a framed picture from an elder aunt and it too seemed an unusual gift to a child. I recently re-framed it and it now hangs in my house once again. Now that I’ve traveled to California, I recognize the setting as Redwood Forest.

9. nick

What an amazing coincidence! And what a wonderful avenue of trees, it reminds me of the road up to Stormont.

Yes, most dogs and cats are allergic to chocolate, in fact it can kill them. The dog must have had some sort of immunity to the toxic ingredients.

Alice, should I dare you to come up with a story about the pictures above or the one you have from Redwood Forest?

Nick – The view up to Stormont from the gates is impressive. Have you ever been in there? I had a personal tour and lunch, in fact I was round the place on two occasions.

11. blackwatertown

Excellent story.
    But you’re right – he was naughty feeding the dog chocolate. Next door to us has had repeated episodes of their dogs gobbling down discarded chocolate. Not good.

blackwatertown – Thank you. I was almost afraid to mention the chocolate, but it was part of the story.

What totally freaks me out, GM, is that looks exactly like the avenue I had to walk up as a child to our church in Cork.
    Wonderful story of synchronicity.

WWW – I suppose just as we find place names repeated all over the land, there are avenues like that as well. I wonder how many of them were on ‘Holy’ ground – owned by the religious orders?