I Do!

The topic this week, chosen for us by Conrad, will be very much on his mind right now as he prepares for the marriage of his son Clay.

Marriage

A marriage is built on the strength of the two who build it.
The commitment, the honesty and the trust that a lasting marriage requires must be given freely, wholly, and without reservation.
Commitment cannot be demanded, respect cannot be forced, dedication cannot be faked, and trust cannot be taken.

“I, Marie, take you Jack, to be my lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; until death us do part”.

On the day, I said it, and meant it.  Unfortunately, I was the one left behind when death parted us.

It was a marriage built on love, laughter and fun.

Jack was my husband, teacher, my soul-mate and friend.

Chains do not hold a marriage together.  It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.  That is what makes a marriage last- more than passion or even sex!

12 thoughts on “I Do!

Grannymar,

Today is my 61st Wedding Anniversary. Imagine!

We were married on September 23,1950. We were both very fortunate to be marrying someone that we LIKED! We were madly in love,of course, but more important than love ,we were in like!

After all these years we still enjoy each other’s company more than we enjoy any other person we know.

We have four children and 8 Grandchildren and are enjoying our retirement years together.

Nancy – Wow! Congratulations! After sixty one years, the marriage is well tried and tested. You are so fortunate to still have your soul-mate to share and enjoy your children and 8 Grandchildren. I wish you togetherness and happiness for many more.

3. Delirious

“Part of me died with him, but as long as Elly walks this earth, Jack’s spirit lives on.” I believe his spirit lives on independent of anyone else. There are many people who have felt their loved ones’ presence after death. He will be there to greet you when you finally cross over.

Delirious – Jack was always a free spirit, that was why I scattered his ashes. Part of him lives in Elly and always will.

Nancy – The wishes come from my heart.

5. nick

Jenny and I were committed to each other for the 14 years before we married, and the commitment carried on afterwards. We married simply because Jenny’s local government pension could only be transferred to a spouse if she died. We had a very simple ceremony in a register office with two friends as witnesses and then took them out for a very nice meal (and champagne) afterwards.

Nick – You and Jenny have a strong commitment that has stood the test of time.

BWT – I liked that comment myself.

7. Padmini Natarajan

Threads–how very evocative. For your information in our wedding ceremony, a yellow (turmeric smeared, for auspiciousness) thread with a gold pendant is tied around the bride’s neck by the groom–like your ring. He puts two knots and his sister puts the third knot.

This yellow thread is renewed every year in a special ceremony. Nowadays many of us only wear this special pendant on a gold chain.

On the husband’s 60th birthday and again when he is 80 another pendant is added…the vows are renewed in a marriage like ceremony.

This pendant is removed when a woman is widowed and given to the son who immerses it in a bowl of milk..symbolically the security and care of the woman is passed on.

Padmini – Your Wedding customs and ceremonies are fascinating to read about. I do hope you will cover the topic in more detail soon.