Random acts of kindness

Our topic today for the Loose Blogging Consortium was chosen by Rohit

Random acts of kindness

It all started with the social studies teacher’s extra-credit project: Think of an idea for world change, and put it into action. Whilst this proved a little ambitious for most of his classmates, twelve-year-old Trevor thought he would start by doing something good for three people. But instead of paying him back, he would ask them to pay it forward by doing a favour for three more people. If it all went to plan, Trevor thought, it would be the start of a long chain of human kindness …

So began the story of Pay it Forward by Catherine Ryan Hyde

Long before I read this book, paying forward was a philosophy I had adopted.  So many times in my early life people were kind to me, and at times went out of their way to help me along my road.  I was never privileged to return that favour, so decided by way of thanks to help others instead.

A few weeks ago a young lady helped me.  She could have walked past me as I lay dazed in the street, but she didn’t.  She stopped and talked to me, called an ambulance and stayed with me until the ambulance arrived.  All I know about her, is that her name is Pauline.  Our paths may never meet again, so instead of paying back her kindness, I will help someone else in need.

The Pay It Forward Movement has come about as a real-life reaction to the release of the novel.

14 thoughts on “Random acts of kindness

I loved the book, too, GM, but thought the film was trash.

This is my philosophy too, even before the book and so many kind people have said to me, don’t thank me, just pass it along.

WWW – I read the book before seeing the film and thought that was why I didn’t like the film.

Red Top – I’d say you do it all the time.

3. Delirious

I do believe there is a sort of unseen kindness “bank”. It doesn’t matter who we help, only that we put that good will out there. And it is amazing how those acts of kindness inspire others to do the same.

Delirious – We all have the free will to walk on by or stopping for that one minute to offer help. It may be life changing for the person we help or it might be a life changing experience for ourselves.

Nelly – I will be forever grateful to Pauline for her help.

BHB – I found over the years through volunteering, that at the end of the day I had actually gained more that I had given. I may have come home exhausted, but it was a satisfied exhaustion of knowing I had made a difference to someone else’s day.

5. Padmini Natarajan

Grannymar–I haven’t read the book or seen the movie. Thanks–will do so.

In fact I have always believed in this philosophy–now I have a name for it. Will ‘Pay it Forward’!!

Just read on Paul’s blog about someone saying there’s no such thing as altruism and that people are kind because they hope to get something out of it. I don’t agree, it’s just the right thing to do and thank goodness that Pauline was there for you.

Padmini – I didn’t mean to skip past your comment, blame holiday mode!
    I think ‘Paying it Forward’ is a great idea.

8. Conrad

I love this entry and attitude. And it applies at so many levels, in so many ways. It applies, for example, to our social responsibilities and gifts to following generations. What world are we paying forward?

9. Pingback: Pay It Forward | Grannymar