A Wilde Man

Oscar Wilde – Bronze

Danny Osborne

This Oscar Wilde sculpture is in Dublin’s Merrion Square

In true Irish fashion the sculpture is known locally as “the Quare on the Square or the  “the Fag on the Crag”.

The sculptor is Danny Osborne. It was commissioned by the Guinness Ireland Group and unveiled on October 28, 1997.

Directly across the narrow path are two square marble columns covered in Wilde witticisms. The words are carved into the marble and it look like graffiti from a distance, but are to give the impression of Wilde’s handwriting.  One column is topped with a small sculpture of a kneeling woman, and the other of man’s torso.

12 thoughts on “A Wilde Man

1. cathy in NZ

another great sculpture of Oscar Wilde and looks so natural as well…I have been thinking about sculpture around town in Auckland some are old “British” style whilst are more abstract…maybe when RWC is over I will do some pictures of some of them…including the ones who have lost their heads!

2. lola

“fag” is a very offensive name in the USA. It makes me cringe and I would hope it has a different connotation in your country. Only bullies use it along with the “n” word.

Judy – Judy – I have walked or driven around Merrion Square many times but it has been years since I went into the railed off park.

Cathy – I realised this week that I need to spend more time in Dublin City with my camera and ‘re-look’ at the sculptures that were part of my childhood.

Lola – I was quoting the titles given to the sculpture, certainly not ones I would use. Dublin has a humour all of its own and all sculpture is fondly renamed.

WWW – I have another sculpture with quotations coming up in the next week or two.

He looks a bit uncomfortable on that crag, as if he might slip down it at any moment. Though that would probably just inspire another of his wonderful witticisms.

speccy – I not alone discovered new sculptures, but a very new Dublin compared to the one I grew up in.

6. Pingback: Grannymar » A week away

7. blackwatertown

As Nick said, he does look a bit precarious – but then I suppose he often was. Much prefer the arrangement above to the Wilde statue I sometimes pass on the way to the Harp bar in London. It’s a bit of a sad effort. I pat him on the head in consolation whenever I pass.

BWT – On a frosty morning I might think of avoiding that path in case the guy slid down and knocked me over.