Self-Obsession

I hope that Anu will join us this week when the Loose Blogging Consortium members turn their thoughts to the topic she has chosen:

Self-Obsession

Obsession: A persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling.

A self-obsessed person is one who thinks about him/herself all the time. It means you think you are always the most important person and that everything is about you –   you think you are better than everyone,…

People like that remind me of cats.  A cat is interested in doing only what it wants.

I prefer to think that….

People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.
~ Elizabeth Kubler Ross

12 thoughts on “Self-Obsession

Padmini – That stained glass quote is one of my favourites. I know many people who have that inner glow and it is wonderful to around them.

2. MerCyn

Knowing at least one extremely self-obsessed individual too well (a relative) and the negativity projected around him, I work hard at being very different. On the other hand we love my mother-in-law, 86, who the older she gets decides everything IS about her!

3. Delirious

Something you said reminded of me of a 9/11 show that I watched. It seemed that when things went from bad to worse, the vicitims of the attacks rallied and really sought more for the comfort of others, than for themselves. Maybe it takes suffering for us to appreciate the suffering of others.

MerCyn – Welcome to my blog. I think we all know at least one person like the relative you describe. They spend so much time demanding attention, they forget to enjoy life in the moment.

mayo – Of course I am obsessed with TOYBOYS, without them life would be very dull. I was talking cats in general, at least your kitty cat in far away and not able to jump on my knee or rub against my legs. *shivers at the thought*

Delirious – When the chips are down, then it becomes as Dogtanian and The Three Muskehounds chanted “One for all and all for one”!

The healthy alternative to self-obsession is I suppose self-awareness. I think self-obsession is based on deep insecurity, the fear that if you pay too much attention to others your own identity will disappear.

BWT – We are all amateurs! When we become experts it is time to step off this mortal coil.

Life is a journey and good self-regard should be de rigeur on the trip for all of us. When it jumps over the fence to narcissism it can be truly appalling. I have seen it in close friends and it is hard to be around it.