Birds of the Air

We swiftly fly down to begin a new year for the LBC at the behest of Magpie 11, to twitter, sing and share our thoughts on the topic of:

Birds of the Air

Seagulls… slim yachts of the element.
~
Robinson Jeffers

There are over 9,200 species of birds known from around the world and they can be found in just about every habitat.

Over 1000 birds a year die from smashing into windows.

The retina of a bird’s eye is twice as thick as a man’s.

Some bird’s feathers weigh more than its very lightweight but strong skeleton of hollow bones, which make flying easier.

A hummingbird weighs less than a penny and its heart beats 1,260 times per minute.

Only male canaries can sing.

The owl can rotate its head by 180 degrees on either side.
It is the only bird to drop its upper eyelid to wink. All other birds raise their lower eyelids.

The world’s fastest flying bird is the peregrine Falcon which can swoop on its prey at speeds of up to 350 km per hour.

An eagle can kill a young deer and fly away with it.

There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man
than the way in which they can build and yet
leave a landscape as it was before.
~
Robert Lynd, The Blue Lion and Other Essays

Time now fly over and check out what the other active members of the Loose Bloggers Consortium have to say on the subject:- Conrad, Delirious, Maria/Gaelikaa, Magpie 11, Maria SilverFox, OCD writer, Padmum, Paul, Ramana, Rohit, Will Knott.

14 thoughts on “Birds of the Air

BWT – I was surprised when I learned that a few months ago.

Ramana – Listening to that song, the years lift off and I am watching a very young Elly dancing her heart out and flapping her wings!

2. Maria from Silver Fox

I remember these facts from all the years that the science unit I taught was about birds. How fun to read them again.
    I clicked on Ramana’s utube video and will play it for my birds. Might even make a video of their dance some day.

3. Alice

Love the Robert Lynd quote! We should apply it to ourselves more often, shouldn’t we? for the sake of the earth.
    Excuse me for veering off-track here, but that comment about the heart beats of the hummingbird really caught my eye, seeing as how I’ve been working so hard to get my heart rate up to 130 beat per hour six days a week. No wonder the little things flutter about so. I feel like I’m fluttering around six days a week trying to learn how to breathe in order to achieve 130 beats/hr! Imagine if I were a hummingbird! But I’d sure be a lot cuter….and I doubt anyone had to retrain him how to breathe and walk correctly either. There’s gotta be a message in there somewhere for me! 😳

4. Red Top

Grannymar you missed a fact. More red hair people get pooped on by birds than any other hair color. I guess it has to do to the fact thay are more sexually attracted to red hair.
    I found this fact in “Mayo’s Book of Knowledge. “

Tilly – Just ‘stuff’ I collected over time.

Alice – I agree with you about the Robert Lynd quote. maybe the hummingbird has a message for all of us.

Delirious – It would be amazing to see an eagle catch and carry off something as large as a deer.

Red Top – “Mayo’s Book of Knowledge” is some book! Your bedtime reading?

6. Helen

Nobody appreciates the beauty of birds more than I do. As I type, there are two pink and grey Galah’s (Small cockatoos) arguing over my feeder. Just lovely things.

I have quite a collection here, getting larger every year due to climate change.
    My fave are the colourful Northern Flickers and the wonderful eagles.

Helen – You have such colourful birds right outside your windows.

WWW – Quite a few of our regulars seem to have moved on in the last year or two.