Openings ~ 20

“The Duke of York” in big letters painted on the wall with an arrow is to be found close to the cobbled entry of Commercial Court, one of the oldest streets in Belfast. It is in the Cathedral Quarter, close to the John Hewitt Pub.  I hear they’ve got a great selection of Irish whiskeys – around 150 in total – including lots of smaller productions.

The couple in the picture were part of a photo shoot.

The white exterior is well kitted out with seats, hanging baskets and just the right amount of vintage knick-knackery, featuring old-fashioned metal adverts for whiskey and Guinness and hanging flower baskets.

One plaque informs passers-by that Snow Patrol played some of their first ever gigs in the room on the first floor, it has been used over the years for live music.

Snow Patrol was here!

Belfast sinks – The Group! 😉

Another opening on the right… now I wonder what lurks down there?

That lady looks familiar.

Wondering what she was up to I followed and was in for a surprise……….

Just look at the walls of this covered walkway…..

Since the ‘No Smoking’ ban was introduced in all public buildings, most pubs provide an outdoor space.  Even the row of buckets with sand for the butts are colourful.

I wonder how many faces you recognise?

I was so busy looking at the walls, I never noticed the ceiling. 🙁  I may go back another day and check it out!

21 thoughts on “Openings ~ 20

1. Alice

I love the painted walls…and it’s a great feature you have that allows me to enlarge each picture so I can get up close and personal and not miss a thing, almost like being there. I don’t recognize anyone there, but I did notice the movie poster with Richard Todd on it. The dark fellow in the green hoodie looked familiar but don’t know. My daughter taught me to always look up wherever I go–you will definitely need to go back to see what the ceiling has to say! Btw, my first question would have been how do they water the plants in those baskets along the building, but having visited Ireland now I don’t need to ask! 😆

2. Mike Goad

Nice murals/painting. Interesting. So much history there. Our little town near our home was only settled about 1835 and still harbors less than 2000 people.

Alice – The murals show characters and leaders of stage, screen and the world of music and sport. As to the baskets on the wall, mostly they are watered by nature’s hose.

Mike – Belfast has blossomed since the end of the troubles. It is such a pity that so many years were wasted.

Marianna – I am inclined to go off the main tourist routes. Taking visitors around, I see things through their eyes.

Conrad – You need to dig out that old bus again!!

WWW – It is good to see the investment in the city and the people enjoying it.

BWT – Paul, I figured you would not alone know the area but the people in the murals.

5. Helen

Gorgeous looking pub and great wall art. I’d like to come on a photo walk with you too one of these days. Who knows maybe my lottery ticket will pay off on Thursday, I’ve been overly optimistic and put my passport application in last week.

6. Brighid

Now I’m so curious as to what is written on the ceiling. Enjoying your photo trips around about…could be because it’s like having a good friend take me along…Thanks.

7. Cathy in NZ

So if you want to smoke (same in NZ, now) and you go outside and you think you will be alone, you won’t be if you happen to be at that place…lots of people to keep you company and they won’t talk back to you if you happen to start musing on life

Judy – I will go back again some day to take another look at the ceiling.

Helen – Fingers crossed for you, and who knows, maybe one day we will go clicking about the countryside.

Brighid – Sharing the adventure makes it worthwhile.

Cathy – In Ireland, there are plenty of smokers outside the pubs, with covered areas, seating and gas heaters. It very soon becomes like another party outside. As a non smoker, I prefer to be indoors.

9. Cardi

We’ve obviously missed out on Belfast in the past – having been sold Dublin as the primary city – we now need to get there. We’re in North Wales next August with time on our hands – if we haven’t been there before then, we’ll have to make the effort to cross over once again.