Grrrr!

I read blogs for enjoyment. Having to fight my way through a mass of clutter to find the Post Text is a big turn off.

Hiding the comment box does not entice visitors to take part in the conversation.

If that is not enough Blogger has taken a dizzy fit…

Have they given the job of designing the Captcha to a six year old who never heard of older eyes or dyslexia?

Take a look at a few of the hurdles I faced in one day alone.

If you don’t manage to get it right first time the whole comment goes AWOL. 😡

I have a life besides blog reading. I am culling my list of all the dead or dormant blogs and if you make it difficult for me to find, read and comment on your masterpieces, then they will fall over the cliff too.

The days are stretching and I intend making the most of the great outdoors.

Now where did I put my camera….

28 thoughts on “Grrrr!

1. The Old Fossil

I solved it on my blog and am willing to give the secret to any who use Blogger and wish to rid themselves of Captcha. Let me know if this is of interest to you – although hopefully, you have figured it out for yourselves. Even Scientific American has an article saying that Captcha is more of a problem than a solution.

2. Mike Goad

Karen has been having fits with it on many of the quilting related blogs she visits, a large percentage of which are on Blogger.

Blogger is part of Google and, every now and then, Google does something stupid, probably with the best of intentions — or not.

A number of the blogs she reads have been disabling the feature. However, there were also several that were not even aware that it had been enabled on their blog, in the first place.

This captcha format has been around for a while on Google related sites. I’ve disliked it since I first saw it.

3. Nelly

Only the other day I had a hell of a problem signing into my own blog with this captcha thing. It’s horrible. I will endeavour to get rid of it. If I can’t do it on my own I’ll be back for advice!

Tee O – Yours was the first blog where I came across this strange challenge. Once I told you, you cleared it. Then within a day these captchas appeared like a plague all over the place. My blood pressure rose with my frustration.

Knowing it was now possible to remove the problem, I decided to write the post.

Mike – I thought I would not be the only frustrated person out there.

Nelly – You did well girl – the problem is no more at your doorstep!

6. Mayo

All I can say is “yeeha” to your post today, but in Chinese that means–I have to go to the restroom. So I will not say “yeeha”.
    But I’m going anyway!

7. Rummuser

I hope that all the others on captcha will emulate TOF and Nelly. It is very frustrating. Before I publish the comment and before I enter the captcha code, I copy the text and keep it just in case it goes AWOL!

Ramana – I was doing that, at one stage I made four attempts to enter a comment. Thus my post.

Pattu – Welcome to my blog. I am hoping that more of my readers learn how to remove the captchas.

Delirious – I feel your pain! I too have problems at times with spam comments that Akismet lets through. I just delete them.

Please test me today, GM, this has been a nightmare for most of us, spending far too much time on those capcha shenanigans. Capcha my arse, capchaing my ancient brain more likely.
    A good system is just to set the capcha for posts 4 days old to eliminate the spam.
    Grrr is right.

I’ve disabled the new double-wordcheck on my blog, because I know how frustrating it is on other people’s blogs. It’s the word in black and white that really phases me, it’s virtually impossible to read, even with good eyesight. I just hope I don’t get a sudden deluge of spam, which is why I had to activate the wordcheck in the first place.

WWW – Everything is working fine now, Thank you for sorting it out.

Nick – I copied and pasted one of those captchas to a word doc and had to zoom in to 500% to decipher it, even then it was not clear! Fingers crossed for you staying clear of the spam.

14. The Old Fossil

It isn’t just the problem of spam, it is the problem of insertions that can eventually disable a blog, which ultimately happened to me. The other problem here is that Google added this to Blogger without any awareness on the parts of those of us who blog with it.

Grrr…

The trick is to revert to the old dashboard to disable it. Google automatically turned it on when they issued the new dashboard and then made nothing available on the new dashboard to turn it off. To get the old dashboard, you need to click on the little gear in the upper righthand corner of the new dashboard and request the old one.

Tee O – All the fun things in life have risks. Thanks for the information of how to deal with the captchas.

16. Mayo

I don’t know what you people are talking about, but I do know that sometimes to make a comment , the procedure is a “pain-in- the-ass.
    It is very sore!!!