Concentrate

This week I goofed.

Yesterday I wanted to make Chicken Portella, I have made it many times over the years, but not in the last six months.

It is an easy one, almost like an ‘all in one’ cake mixture. I no longer need to look at the recipe to check the items needed.  When on my own I don’t use cream and usually portion the left overs for my freezer.

I was a little distracted as I gathered my ingredients together on this occasion. I chose my oven-wear dish, emptied in the yoghurt, tomato chutney and then it was down to the spoonfuls, dry first…

Three teaspoons of….. wait now… that is the wrong colour! I had a small square stackable storage box in my hand. On the side in my OWN handwriting it said dry mustard. 😯

Three teaspoons of English mustard sitting on top of my chutney and yoghurt when it should have been three teaspoons of curry powder. I scooped off about half of it and added the curry powder. I added the mayonnaise and the dash from ‘the bottle’ was a little heavier than usual.

In for a penny, in for a pound! I gave the mixture a stir, then cut and stirred the chicken into it, put the lid on and stuck it in the oven.

Result?  It was gorgeous!

What was that about the man who never made a mistake?

Some mistakes are an adventure! 😀

20 thoughts on “Concentrate

Grannymar,

Talk about cooking mistakes. Do you remember when my husband invited his boss and wife to our home for dinner? I started three days ahead to prepare because I wanted everything to be perfect.

I bought a 10 pound ham and baked it for a few hours with all sorts of glazes on top. Then the next day I cut the whole ham up in small pieces and put it through a hand meat grinder. It took all afternoon. I refrigerated the meat overnight and the day of the dinner I took the ground up ham and put all sorts of spices and interesting things in the mixture and formed it into a lovely loaf. Then I baked the loaf for 2 hours until perfect.

The guests arrived and we served a cocktail and tidbits (I don’t know how to spell hors de orves) and then went into the dining room to have this delicious dinner.

It was only when I put the loaf on a platter that I realized what I had spent 3 days cooking and was now about to present to my guests.

What I had made and was now about to serve was a giant SPAM….

2. speccy

I’m not very good at receipes- I always leave out something, or forget to measure, or remember what went wrong the last time. Always an adventure round here 🙂

speccy – My mother never stuck exactly to a recipe, she tweaked it this way and that every time she made it. Guess what…. Elly is fast turning into her! 😉

4. Maria from Silver Fox

I think it has to do with attitude. When I mismeasure, I am certain I am creating a disaster. Reading your post makes me think the art of positive thinking may well be worth it. Next time, I will think of my cooking mistakes as great adventures.

5. Mayo

Nancy all you had to do was put on some Hawiian music and your quest would have thought you had planned a Hawiian meal.
    SPAM is “big” in Hawaii.

6. paulo1

After years of ‘almost’ producing what I set out to make, I’ve adopted a more laissez-faire approach to the kitchen. Now I buy a selection of ingredients that are resonably taste compatible and and let the devil take the hindmost. I usually have an idea in the back of my mind as to what the end result should be but so long as it seems to come from that general gastronomic neighbourhood that’s good enough for me. If guests ask me what we’re having for supper I tell them ‘food’. If I don’t know what it is, exactly ,why should they be any wiser.

Wel….since I am constantly making mistakes andnot necessarily culinary…”People who don’t make mistakes, don’t make anything”.Actually my son is the master of the secret ingredient, intentional or otherwise and guess what….weird works more often than not. Had you put icing sugar on it, perhaps not.

paulo1 – ‘food’ sounds good to me!

Judy – I have served ‘mistakes’ for mains and ‘disasters’ for afters, many times. Thankfully nobody suffered any ill effects.

Baino – I remember mammy producing a heavenly looking apple tart/pie only to remove it from the table as soon as she cut into it. Why? She had sprinkled bicarbonate of soda on the apples instead of icing sugar.

9. Rummuser

I have had my share of such successes and the disappointment of not being able to replicate the dish again. I hope that you have noted down the recipe!

Ramana – The ‘new’ version of the recipe is well registered in my head and will be replicated in the very near future.