Change

“I’m not confused. I’m just well mixed.”

No change there!

“In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.”

No change there!

Doesn’t look like there is any change here either! 🙁

Maybe I should try busking…

I came across these guys in Henry Street, Dublin when I was there earlier this month. It is not a sculpture.  There are two clues:

• The cup for change on the ground in front of them.
  • If you stand long enough one of them will move in some way…. it might be a wink, a toe tapping or the movement of a hand.

On the way back down to O’Connell Street, there was a group of about six dark figures in a huddle,and I am not sure whether they were on the way home or about to set up for a long stand somewhere else. I wonder where this craze started?

º

Both quotations above are by Robert Frost.

The topic for The Loose Bloggers Consortium today CHANGE was brought to you by the giddy goose known to some as Grannymar. Now lets change step and take a tour through the other active members: Delirious, Maxi Maria/Gaelikaa, Maria SilverFox OCD writer, Padmum, Paul, Ramana, The Old Fossil, Will Knott.

23 thoughts on “Change

1. Big John

Those ‘statues’ have been around for many years. I first saw one in Amsterdam more than 10 years ago. They soon ‘come to life’ if you take their picture and don’t put any money in the cup.

Big John – They seem to be all over Dublin now, but I have yet to see one in Belfast.

They were popular in London and New York also and I saw them in Toronto in the summers. Been around for quite a while.
    I couldn’t imagine doing this for a living.

4. Rummuser

Yes, coins have lost their values. What we used to call paise have all but disappeared from our purses, wallets and coin purses.

I bet that these are what are called living statues. An intriguing development that started in the USA some years ago. I have read about it but for the moment am unable to find the reference to its origins. I shall let you know eventually.

5. Alice

I’ve seen a few of these “statues” myself, but the ones you show here are the most realistic “sculptures” I’ve ever seen! Looks as if bits of stone might fall to the sidewalk when they begin to move. I see by your response to Delirious that they looked like masks up close. I’m glad I saw them here. Something interesting seems to be going on all the time in the streets of Dublin.

Alice – I have seen a few, but this is the first time I stopped to photograph them. You often see them in Grafton St. or TempleBar.

They certainly fooled me. I thought they were statues until you informed us otherwise. I’ve never seen any in Belfast either, at least not the black ones. I think I’ve seen one or two of the silver and gold variety.

I’ll keep an eye out for Grannymar busking. Will you be on the penny whistle or the Jew’s Harp?

8. The Old Fossil

For Delirious and Grannymar, we saw some street “statues” in Rome and one of the guys was fixed up like a metallic cowboy statue. It was terrific and, until he moved, I don’t think people could tell. I’ll put it in a blog post so you can both see a great picture of him.

9. Nelly

I first saw this sort of street theatre in New Orleans in the previous century. I jumped out of my skin when I saw one move!

💡 I just realised why I never took any notice of these human sculptures before…..

I grew up in Ireland. The land of Moving Statues! 😆

11. Maria from Silver Fox

I love the way you have attached your keys to your coin purse. I have done a similar thing to the purse that I carry which is of medium /large in size. I found a leather strap with sturdy clasps on each end. I attached one to the keys and one to the zipper on the purse. That way, I can tuck them inside the purse while shopping and also turn on and drive the car, by leaving the strap out and putting the purse safely between the two front seats. Works Beautifully! No more hunting for my keys or wondering where I left them. Of course there are always the times that I misplace the purse. LOL

12. Cathy in NZ

There is a regular statue street money vendor in my city as well…he is quite tall, even on the little box he stands on. He also has an artificial arm which adds to the attraction – standing mute and still – until a coin drops into the box provided. If it is a child the reaction is quite different…

I saw him the other week coming out of the train station, not in his “usual uniform” but definitely on the way to his spot as he had his trolley and the little box. But he looked scruffy…so later I saw him all “dressed” and capturing the hearts of people with stillness!

Maria SF – That little coin purse has three compartments, one for coins and on the other side there are two under a flap:- one for cards and the other is for little notes or receipts. The white case holds my Moo cards and to the left is a USB Flash Drive, all very handy when I am on the move. I removed two sets of keys for houses in Dublin, because they made the whole thing far to heavy. Problem now is to remember them when I am travelling.

Cathy – I would not fancy standing like a statue for long hours to make a living.