Blogging the alphabet ~ K

K ~ Knitting.

I don’t like the cold weather and I’ll whisper this – my body does not like the heat either. 🙁  Sitting in the sun is a sufferance for me. Short spurts of ten minutes are almost my limit.  This beautiful spell of bright sunny days has me bouncing out of the bed before six am and since it is a rarity, I decided to use my sitting time to knit in the hope it helped me to sit for longer and top up with some vitamin D.

So what was I at?

I bought it in a wool shop

Last week when on my wanderings – a walk in the sunshine and a little browsing to cool down, I found a new wool shop and went to look at the patterns.  I didn’t find one but came home with a ball of ruffle yarn.  It was a new one to me and I could not resist.

And ended up with this!

One 100g ball of the yarn is sufficient for a scarf.

I like to use those circular needles when possible. They help avoid the ends of the straight needles hitting and bruising my upper arms with every stitch!! I am a clumsy knitter…. remember how I was with the crochet. In school the teacher used to say “Marie, you are not driving a car and turning a corner!” each time I wound the thread round the needle. 😆

This ruffle scarf uses only eight stitches. The most difficult part is to get started, but once you manage to get the hang of that, it is easy peasy.

The yarn actually looks like a ball of ribbon when you buy it instead of the usual fine knitting wool.  You stretch it out as you work along.  I have pinned out a sample above to let you see what it looks like. Click to enlarge the photos.

You will notice one long edge is a thicker straight line, that is the bottom of the work.  Beginning at the short end, you pick up eight loops on the top row and then turn. From here on all rows are worked in garter stitch (knit). Insert the needle in the first stitch and use the next loop as the thread and complete the stitch in the normal way. Make sure to use every loop.

I promise that by about row three, you will be doing it with your eyes shut!  I made the scarf in an afternoon. 😀

The most difficult part is the first row so to help, I found a tutorial for you.

Now it is about time I finished off a project that has been on the pins for quite some months!

Would you say I am in a PINK phase?

20 thoughts on “Blogging the alphabet ~ K

1. Ursula

So gratifying that you have come back to a spot of knitting, Grannymar. Even if only on account of the letter K.

The scarf looks lovely. As it happens, and what a coincidence, at sunrise this morning I dug out a book by John Seymour titled “The Forgotten Arts and Crafts -Skills from Bygone Days”. It’s a treasure trove. Does make you want to go back in time. It also made me think of you, Grannymar, as someone who might appreciate something that I think has got lost in time. Really is a shame. Not that I advocate crocheting tea cosies or those hats for your spare toilet roll. Still. I love the nostalgia. And yes, I did knit tiny little egg warmers when I was about nine or ten. As a present for all the family – at Easter. An individual one to suit all of their characters.

Grannymar, insert nostalgic sigh. Did you knit for your daughter before she was born? I made a tiny little cardigan. Yellow – to be on the safe side.

U

Ursula – Needles are never far from my hands, be they for sewing, knitting or crochet. In fact crochet needles feature in my tool box as well as my needlework box. My remark about the pink phase was a joke with no hidden meaning.

I did use a needle in preparation for my baby and you can read about it here.

With the price of clothes rocketing up, I’m surprised there aren’t more people turning to knitting. Or perhaps there are and we just haven’t heard about it.

Nick – There has been a renewed interest in all the crafts in recent years, knitting, crochet and sewing are all popular again.

I was going to say I hoped you were in the pink, but Rummuser beat me to it. I will say it anyhow, but I don’t know about a pink phase.

I haven’t knitted or crocheted for years. I think I got burned out when I was housebound in snowy Massachusetts. I barely finished one project until I had another one going. I made so many sweaters, caps, afghans, etc. that my children have tons of them, as do I.

6. Alice

I love the sunshine when I’m inside, but when I’m out I walk or rest in the shade only. Pretty scarf. I’m glad at least one of us is so talented and industrious with needles! Maybe the little pink sweater will give certain people ideas….hummm.

7. Marianna

I’ve never used the circular needles. Neither did my knitting teacher – my mom.

It sounds like you knit the same way in which my mom learned to knit in Holland – needles tucked up under the armpits. (It’s not typically done this way in N.A., I believe.)

Darlene – When taking the photos for this post, I suddenly realised how much ‘pink’ features in my wardrobe at the moment. Having worn a horrible shade of pink everyday as part of a school uniform, I thought I would never look at the colour again.

Fos – I do have a pair of pinking shears in the bottom of my sewing box and another version with fancy edged blades for paper cutting.

Alice – I am fond of dappled sunshine, today we are back to 17°C and full cloud cover, so time outdoors will be spent working on the move.

BWT – Do they still sell string vests? A string bag for shopping would be more in my line. Are you old enough to remember them?

WWW – The Ruffle yarn is sold under many brand names. When I found the video link I thought of you… It reminded me of the name of your car – Starbella or Strawbella – am I warm?

Marianna – Although my arms are by no means short, the long (they always seemed long) knitting needles were like implements of torture. I also realised recently that I seem to lift my work unconsciously as I knit.

10. maria(gaelikaa)

I love knitting. Preferably the plain, boring, ordinary stitch type. No fancy stitches or turns in the socks. It used to fulfil my instincts for being feminine, productive, nurturing and maternal. That was until I had four babies in eight years and turned into a milk factory.

Haven’t knitted in years. But I’d like to get back to it again. I’m sure I’d remember it, if I tried again.

Tilly – A short project easily transported to the garden and it helped keep my bum on a seat for a little longer! Today Thursday, we are back to normal with cooler temps and rain. My new scarf adorns my neckline and is a reminder of the sunshine.

12. Pingback: Grannymar » Raspberry Purls