I’m not a recluse. Honest!

It is a very wet and windy Friday morning in my patch of Blogland. I walked back through the town and up the hill to my cosy little house, changed into dry clothes and perked some coffee. ‘Elevenses were called for before 09:30 today.  Mind you yesterday I was gagging for my mid morning coffee at 08:15!

So who did I talk to?

1. Alan, a toyboy with an open friendly smiling face, who greeted me by name despite not seeing me since last January.  I had a problem and Alan was the very man to fix it. My car has developed a vibrating noise when I start the engine and drive at low speed. It seems to settle when the speed picks up. I have a feeling the noise is from a loose bracket holding the exhaust, and not being happy about it, I went to see Alan.

“Leave it with me and I’ll take a look when I finish with this one” he said. My kinda Toyboy! 🙂  I will walk back this afternoon and must remember to bring some money!

Speaking of money…

On the way home I found a bank card all forlorn and wet on the pavement.  It belonged to a man called John. Looking about, there was not one man to be seen. It was far too early for the banks to be open and I had no desire to hang around in the rain, so I took the card home with me.

2. I phoned the local branch of the bank named on the card once they opened, and spoke to Sharon, a friendly young lady. It was of course after listening to a recipe of options longer than my arm.

I checked that the sort code was for that branch and then asked if they would contact the named person on the card to tell them I found it. I hoped it would save distress and prevent the unnecessary cancelling of the card.  I was asked a detail or two and for my name and phone number. I had at least done my bit.

3. An incoming call by phone from John, the man I inquired about in the previous call. He was relieved and pleased that someone ‘responsible’ (his word), had found his bankers card. Giving him my address, he asked if I lived near Mr X? I replied in the affirmative saying I was the bungalow above his. I think they play golf together.

I had hardly finished my coffee when he called to my house to collect his card.

He did say ‘thank you’.

There are joke people,
Coke people,
People who like
to poke you people

There are pain people,
Cane people,
People who say its gonna
Rain people

There are seer people,
Deer people,
People who like to
Drink beer people

There are trail people,
Sail people,
People who give you your
Mail people

People who are
hoods people

There are scream people,
Ice cream people,
People who dare
to dream people

And of all the different people
Peopleing this earth,
Each and every one
Has his or her own unique worth.

To all the people on this earth by Kelly Curiel

Now that you are well peopled, it is time to run along to see what the other active people in the LBC have to say on the topic The last three people I’ve spoken to (apart from family or household members), chosen this week by Paul at Blackwatertown.

Today I would like to issue a very special welcome to Shackman who regularly reads blogs through a coffee splattered screen! 😉 You will find his words of wisdom at Shackman speaks.

Anu Delirious, Maxi Maria/Gaelikaa, Maria SilverFox OCD writer, Padmum, Paul, Ramana, The Old Fossil, Will Knott.

21 thoughts on “I’m not a recluse. Honest!

1. shackman

I suspect you and Mayo own shares in a company that makes screen cleaning solution. And perhaps Mayo added a fancy label and calls it wine. At any rate thank you for the warm welcome. And the people pleasing post.

Right people, I am home once more and dried off with a healthy car once more. I was not far out,,, a layer of insulation between the underside of the car and the exhaust pipe had loosened and lost a nut and screw thus the vibration.

Ramana – I loved Funny Girl and the song People, by Barbara Streisand. I will be humming it for the rest of the day.

Delirious – All I could think was: it could happen to me. If ever it does I hope the finder makes the effort to find me.

Fos – Watch it cuz, my head might swell!

Shackman – Shares? Mayo never told me about those. You know… I have seen him drink Red Top, maybe that is what happened to him!!

5. Mayo

Grannymar, shackman seems to dirty up his computer screen a whole lot. Let’s sit back and watch him clean it up and enjoy our glass of Red Top Chardonay.

When I was in London, someone’s stolen car was abandoned behind our block of flats. I contacted the owner and he collected it while I was out – without a word of thanks. Ditto when I found someone’s wallet full of credit cards and returned it to his bank. Some people’s selfishness is quite staggering.

speccy – Not a bad day at all.

Mayo – My Red Top glass is empty. 🙁

Nick – Had I left the card at the bank, I doubt if I would have heard any more. It would be difficult to take the card from my hand without offering a word of thanks and that is what happened.

WWW – I didn’t expect any reward and didn’t get any. The man said ‘thank you’ and that was enough for me.

Thanks for your virtual flower.

8. padmum

Grannymar–what an account! I do love your toyboys who seem to spring up regularly…..I too love the song ‘People’. In fact RR and Urmila used to be amused by my obsession with that song.

The poem by Kelly Curiel–is beautiful….I am gushing but can’t help it.

9. Maxi

You’re a kind soul, Grannymar. Just ask John.

Sooo glad that it was only a minor issue with your car. We need our wheels!

Blessings – Maxi

Padmini – Any of the guys who is pleasant, kind and helpful, is given the title of Toyboy.

Glad you like the poem.

11. shackman

Mayo – never confuse fat with stupid. I have decided henceforth to place my coffee on the desk when reading suspect blogs. See – I’m trainable!!!

12. blackwatertown

So it seems as though people ae generally speaking better off for having conversed with you. That was my experience anyway.
    I agree that no reward is necessary – it was the right thing to do. Though some buns would have been good. I handed over a bottle of whiskey to the Italian who found my cards when I left them on a train.

BWT – I look forward to your next visit. I am also looking forward to meeting another LBCer – Maria Gaelikaa is in Dublin at the moment and we plan to catch up when I go down.

I didn’t expect any gifts for returning the card, If buns had cream or butter icing I could not eat them anyway. Thanks was more than enough.

14. Alice

The best people are the kind of people who earn stars in their crowns (in Heaven) by all the nice things they do for others. ‘Haven’t found bank cards but we did find a couple of mobile phones we were able to re-connect with the owners. That ought to make for half a star.

Alice – The day brought other calls, but they were from family members and would not have counted, since family were excluded from the topic. I was fortunate to have been out early on Friday. Had I written the post a day in advance…. there had been only one ‘online chat’!
    It is either feast or famine in my life.