What do they call ye?

I never belonged to the buttons and bows fraternity, sitting pretty and spilling with frills.

Climbing trees, scraping knees
walking on walls despite the falls.
I had no fear and played dare devil games
with not a grumble, gripe or whane.
Helped build go-carts, bonfires and boats
bonding with the boys, I was part of the gang.

These days I am part of another gang of guys and one of them sent me an email this morning. It told a painful story of a man, a lawnmower and an electric fence…..

Suddenly the years peeled back…..

I don’t think I ever told you guys about the time a seven year old me tried to switch on a bedside table lamp with a wonky switch. From an early age I was keen to use my initiative. On that day initiative was a screwdriver. A loud thud brought the adults running and I believe they found me on the floor at the other side of the room. Now you know why I turned out like I am today!

Over the following days my list of nicknames grew ever longer:

Sparky
Flying spark
Curly tops
Freckle face
Mags
Nag
Drip dry
Skinny malinks melodeon legs.
Irish Girl
Grannymar

Goodness knows what I was called behind my back….

Mammy often intoned the nursery rhyme:

Sticks and stones
Will break my bones
But names will never hurt me.

Now I wonder what they call Pauliewallie?  Ahem! I mean Paul at Blackwatertown, he is the person responsible for our topic today: Nicknames. Once you have caught up with him, take a wander through the following list and see what hidden titles the other LBC members answer to: Anu, Delirious, Maxi, Maria/Gaelikaa, Maria SilverFox, OCD writer, Padmum, Paul, Ramana, Shackman speaks, The Old Fossil, Will Knott..

21 thoughts on “What do they call ye?

1. Delirious

When I was young, I tried sticking the metal ends of a man’s “bolo” tie in the electric socket. I learned just how painful electric shock can be!

Grannymar,

When I was born in 1928, my Mother wanted to call me Nancy but the priest at our church told her she had to name me after a Saint and there was no St. Nancy.

So, they poured the water over my head and called me Ann.

That has plagued me all of my life because all legal documents are Ann and everyone in the World calls me Nancy.

I asked my Mother once why she didn’t say Nancy to the Civil authorities when they made out my birth certificate for the State of Pennsylvania.

She was horrified, looked all around and whispered,
    “I couldn’t do that. Suppose the Pope found out.”

3. shackman

GM I suspectt we all haa similar electrical socket story. I know I do. Now this one is quite a mouthful….Skinny malinks melodeon legs.

Ramana – I had a mini disaster with an iron at a few years earlier. It was my youngest brother that felt the pain! 🙁

Delirious – Those low level electric sockets were an accident waiting to happen.

Nancy – What a great story. I too, had an aunt Nancy, and her real name was Anne, she was a character and great fun to have around.

Shackman – The ‘skinny malinks melodeon legs’ originated with my brothers, they almost sang it to me. Mind you, back then I was like a walking skeleton with skin on!

There were plenty of nicknames I could have attracted when I was young like Speccy and Foureyes and Lanky and Beanpole, but oddly enough I was never called anything but Nick or Nicky. Which I’m glad of, because I think I would find a nickname rather tedious and annoying.

6. Alice

My brother called me “nincompoop,” for whatever godawful reason I’ll never know. I couldn’t think of anything to top that so I called him “dimepoop”. You list is far more colorful I have to say!

Nick – I think that Nick, or Nicky, were just right for you.

Alice – Your brother sounds just like mine, mind you when all four of them ganged up on me the nicknames were flying. There was no harm meant in the teasing and I quickly learned to ignore it.

Hi Baino,

I have a friend named Helen and they also call her Nell. I think that’s real cute!

9. Maria from Silver Fox

You may have laughed at my “Angel” story, but your shocking one and the nicknames that followed had me laughing so hard that tears were forming in my eyes. It is good to be back and I am still grieving the loss of all my wonderful photos and stories. Hopefully, I have learned the lesson of saving files to a black box.

Baino – At one time we had a young lady living in this house who answered to the name Nell. These days she had her own abbreviation.

Maria SF – It is good to have you back blogging with us once more. Please do ‘back-up’ on a regular basis to an external hard drive. Perhaps if the Royal Bank of Scotland, Nat West and Ulster Bank group did the same we would not be facing the horrendous ongoing situation of the past couple of weeks. I will soon be looking for a recipe for fresh air soup! 🙁

11. Maxi

Wheeew! Sounds as if you could have been seriously hurt. In your list, Grannymar is my favorite. Still, Irish Girl runs a close second.
    Blessings – Maxi

Maxi – I am very comfortable with the handle Grannymar, even my daughter and Son-in-law introduce me that way!

13. blackwatertown

Of course you come with a nickname already Grannymar – though I may now switch to Sparky – which also suits you.
    Thanks for clarifying the spelling of Skinny malink… I’ve said it and hear it, but never thought “melodeon”.
    As for what you called me – hmmm… Once again I’ve been found out. I never the list at my blog was exhaustive. (and to be hoenst i had forgotten about that one.)

14. Cathy in NZ

I found out how hot an iron was when my Mother was distracted and I placed open hand near the end and she ironed on up and over the gap presented!

I was born with a balance problem (I still have) and was restricted at times on what I should be doing safely. One w/end we were out at my brothers farm and got into a bind on some wood stacked between the garage and fence and fell of course – grabbing hold of something which just happened to be a nasty rusty nail – I still have the scar on the inside of my left ring finger.

Mother and to some extent everyone else were absolutely hopping mad I had been so silly! No one thought that the ripped finger was something to be really concerned about. Later a doctor suggested to Mother, that it should have been stitched 🙂

Paul – Were you really called Pauliewallie? I was chancing my arm!

Cathy – I ironed my little brothers toes one day (my accident). No wonder he left home and moved next door to you in Australia!

16. Brighid

Whoa…you could have been really burned. When I was little I liked to rock in the wooden hose holder….rocked back in it one day and split the back of my head open on the edge of the house steps…still a bit off don’t you think!
    My granny always called me a scallywag…
    my da calls me doogee…(no one seems to know why, least of all him)
    family call me sis…everyone else just uses my intials.

Brighid – I think we are just fine to have survived these knocks and shocks. I hope miss scallywag that you are taking better care of yourself these days. Good people are scarce!