Openings 46 ~ The Cockle House

The Crumlin River carves a short, but deep glen as it approaches the waters of Lough Neagh. The town Crumlin takes its name from the small, winding valley derived from the Irish “Cromghlin”, meaning “Crooked Glen”.

There is a walk that passes through beautiful woods and in spring the woodland floor is carpeted with a mix of bluebells, wood anemone and wild garlic, filling the air with its strong, sweet smell. Close your eyes and breathe deeply. Can you smell the garlic?

The Cockle House

The Cockle House is a little Gothic-arched rubble stoned building, set among mature  beech trees overlooking the waterfall. According to folklore, it was built facing Mecca as a Muslim temple for the landowner’s servant.

12 thoughts on “Openings 46 ~ The Cockle House

1. Rummuser

That is very interesting. When would an Irish landlord have had a Muslim servant for who the structure was built? Could it have been an African?

Ramana – Unfortunately my searching did not enlighten me as to how the said servant arrived in Crumlin. Perhaps Rowley Heyland was originally from a military background.

3. adinparadise

How lovely is that story about the generous landlord! What a charming place, and yes, I can smell the wild garlic, as well as see the bluebells and anemones. 🙂

I can’t find any way to follow your blog. Can you give me a clue please?

Ad – Glad you took time to see the flowers and smell the garlic.

At the bottom of the side bar on the left under the heading Meta you will find Entries RSS and Comments RSS. Hope that helps.

5. gigi-hawaii

Your pictures are so pretty and inviting. That garlic odor must be very pungent. Wonder what garlic plants look like! Lol. I, too, wonder how a Muslim got into Ireland. Are there any Muslims now residing in Ireland?

WWW – That very thought came to me when I was typing the name. Alas,it went no further.

7. Pingback: Grannymar » Openings 57 ~ Round House

It was a lovely day, I was on my own and didn’t want to take to many chances leaning over to get the shots I wanted.