A little Knitting

Thankfully while recovering from a fall and spending more time than usual sitting with my legs raised, I had a knitting project on the go to distract me.

Nice stitch

It was growing quickly and added another warm layer to cover my raised feet. That stitch looks nice…. but it is the wrong way round.  You are looking at the back of the work….

Working on a circular needle (as a straight needle) made it so much easier, you can see the front of the stitch peeping through, Recognise it yet??

Somewhere on my travels, it might well have been in one of the many Avoca coffee shops that I saw a lady walk down the floor wearing a Capelet and loved it immediately. I hope she didn’t think me rude, but I couldn’t take my eyes off that top. I was trying to soak in the details of how it was constructed. It looked fairly straight forward so I decided to give it a try.

Single rib and raspberry stitch were my choice in a gentle tone of green. Raspberry stitch is often called trinity or blackberry stitch and very common as a filler in traditional Aran knitting.

Traditional Aran Knitting with raspberry stitch panels. Image from Modern knitting.co.uk

I began with a deep single rib waistband and then increased the stitches to give me the fullness and add a ten stitch rib at both sides. Please don’t ask… I cannot remember the exact number of stitches I used. Raspberry stitch is worked in multiples of four plus two stitches,over four rows.

When the back was long enough, I knit across towards the centre and cast off the middle five patterns and then continued in pattern on to the end of the row.

Back of the neck

Starting at the centre point at the back of the work and using a crochet hook, I chained ten stitches, then changed to knitting needles and worked in single rib until I met the stitches already on the needle at one side and worked in pattern to the end of the row.This was now one side of the front.

Back at the centre I worked into the same ten chain stitches and continued the rib to meet the stitches on the other side of the work.

Front detail

Being a glutton for punishment, I worked both front pieces at the same time on the circular needle. You need to be careful or you might find you are working on the same side over and over (I made that mistake once, and had to play catchup with my stitches on the other side. 🙁  Perhaps it was someone looking for me on ‘IM chat’ that distracted me! 😉 ). I put a stitch marker on one side and moved it up along the piece as I worked, to keep me on track.

Detail of finished front.

I finished with a deep rib and made a crochet i-cord (nothing to do with phones!) to run through the eyelets and tie at the front. The only joins were at the rib waistband on both sides and to join the rib band at the back of the neck. These I crocheted together, I like the finish it gives.

Finished Front.

Finished back.

back wing detail.

Front wing detail

Now all I need is somewhere to wear it!

18 thoughts on “A little Knitting

1. gigi-hawaii

Wow! What an incredibly beautiful sweater! I just love it — the color, the attention to detail, everything about it! You are so talented. Congrats on doing such a great job. Since I don’t know how to knit, something like this just blows my mind.

Ramana – The singing lessons didn’t work, so now I am learning how to fly. Maybe this batwingthingycape might help! 😉

Maxi – I have rediscovered the joy of knitting and crochet. Now I am planning the next item.

Gigi – This afternoon I completed a pair of pom-poms and attached them to the ends of the i-cord. Now it really looks complete.

3. Dianne

I took knitting lessons and gave up. My stitches were tight and crabbed. I can crochet and have been working on various projects lately. I switch around so as to not become bored. True, it keeps your lap warm. Good projects for cold weather.

Your sweater top is beautiful and you are very talented. I wrote about my “knitting” ancestors today and posted a photo of my granddaughter Hannah in a sweater her Great Aunt Marge knitted. My granddaughters can knit, and the oldest (an artist) can crocchet too. Wonderful pasttime.

Take care and happy hooking.

Dianne, when I began knitting as a school girl, the only thing I could knit were holes! Holes from dropped stitches. I never had the same number of stitches in any row. I gave up and it was many years later that I gave knitting another chance and took to it like a duck to water. In school I ‘had’ to knit, now I do it because I want to, and enjoy exploring and experimenting with the wool and needles.

Excellent job, GM, top of the class.

I never took home ec at school (I was physics and chemistry then) so the joys of knitting and sewing have never left me as mum always gave me a free hand so to speak.

I am so glad you have rediscovered your love of it. That is one beautiful piece!

6. bikehikebabe

I think of all the sweaters I knitted (long ago). Even argyle socks; wool ones that shrank. 🙁 I have a huge bag of yarn waiting for me when I’m too old to do anything else, if I’m lucky enough to get really old.

WWW – I didn’t have a choice with regard to home economics. Mind neither did the nun who taught us, she once told us she had wanted to be a nurse. In those days they were told what area of convent life they would undertake, I suppose it came under their vow of obedience.

Delores – Maybe you are being too critical of your own work. I made plenty of mistakes down the years, but as my father would say… Every fault is a fashion! Just look at some of the dreadful outfits we see from time to time on the catwalks.

BHB – You are from Tir na nOg – The land of eternal Youth.

Debra – The minute I laid eyes on that colour wool, I had to have it. Now to find something nice to underneath it.

Padmini – Do you mean the wool, the colour or the capelet. I have had that wool for about a year and not seen the colour since.

9. Emma Jane

That’s adorable. I love it. I tend to not knit any more. Have an arrangement with my mum. I do her sewing and she does my knitting. Crotchet is still left to me mind!

Emma Jane – I was a rather latent knitter, crochet was faster and I suppose I spent more of my time sewing and later discovering embroidery.