Blogging the Alphabet ~H

H ~ Honey

Honey, as we all know, is a sweet food made by bees using nectar from flowers.

Did you know that about 60,000 or so bees live in one beehive, and collectively travel as much as 55,000 miles and visit more than two million flowers to gather enough nectar to make just a pound of honey!

It comes in numerous varieties of colour, texture and flavour. The flavour, colour and sweetness of honey depends on which type of flower the nectar was collected from it might come from Clover, Eucalyptus or even Orange Blossoms.

• Honey is slightly sweeter than sugar, so less can be used to achieve the same sweetness intensity.
  • Honey not only imparts a unique flavour to any dish, but it also balances and enhances the flavour of other ingredients used in a recipe.
  • Honey acts as a binder and thickener for sauces, dressings, marinades and dips.
  • Honey provides and retains moisture to a variety of dishes and can even extend the shelf life of baked goods.
  • Honey is excellent for soothing sore throats in winter.

How do you like it?

Warm toasted English Crumpets perhaps, buttered and drizzled with rich golden honey. Delicious, yes?

Would it sound as delicious if the honey was blue, green or dark red?

Rainbow honey…. Sounds like an early April Fool’s joke…

Beekeepers in north eastern France have been alarmed to find their bees producing honey in unnatural shades of green and blue.
The beekeepers believe the source of the problem is a biogas plant close to Ribeauville in Alsace.
It is thought the bees have been eating the sugary waste from M&Ms, small chocolates in brightly-coloured shells.
The plant operator said it regretted the situation and had put in place a procedure to stop it happening again.
“We discovered the problem at the same time [the beekeepers] did. We quickly put in place a procedure to stop it,” Philippe Meinrad, a spokesman from Agrivalor, the company operating the biogas plant, was quoted by Reuters as saying.
The company, which deals with waste from a Mars chocolate factory, said it would clean out the containers, store all incoming waste in airtight containers and process it promptly, according to a company statement published in Le Monde newspaper.
A spokeswoman for the British Beekeepers’ Association, Gill Maclean, said it was possible that the coloured sugar could have contaminated the honey.
Source: BBC News

Red and yellow and pink and green,
Purple and orange and blue,
I can sing a rainbow,
Honey rainbow,
Sing a honey rainbow too!

15 thoughts on “Blogging the Alphabet ~H

1. Mike

I thought about the colorful honey associated with the “biogas” facility in France as soon as I started reading your post. Another unanticipated consequence of going green? (pun intended.)

Nelly – With honey from your own bees would make that extra special.

Mike – I am sure there are many more unpublished and unanticipated consequences of our going green.

3. Rummuser

Green Tea with some lemon juice and honey is my second favourite drink.

We get wild honey collected by tribals up in the mountains close to Pune that taste much better than any processed honey offered by big companies.

Bees build hives in many buildings around our home and the same tribals come every now and then and offer to get the hives down and give the home owners the honey for a negotiated charge. That too tastes very good.

But you want to see and hear honey go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3KOowB4k_k

4. gigi-hawaii

Interesting post. But, I really don’t care for honey. Too sweet and rich for my taste. However, I have a friend who was born in Australia who likes her tea with honey.

Ramana – I knew green tea would feature in your reply! 😆

Gigi – I think honey works better in tea than in coffee. I add it to a hot whiskey or port (The medicinal hot toddy) to warm my bones and sooth my throat on a cold winter’s night.

6. Dianne

I like honey in cooked foods. I used it last in an Asian pork and noodle dish I made a few weeks back. Dianne

PS, did you know there are many kinds of bees, but the European honey bee produces most honey. We also have carpenter bees and killer bees here in the States.

The only honey I ever eat is the honey in my granola. My father used to be nuts about honey, he ate it at every opportunity.

Dianne – I think there are about 20,000 varieties of bee. The four am sure of are: Honey bee; Bumble bee; Stingless bee; Carpenter bee.

Warren – Sometimes not getting what you want, is actually good for you!

Nick – I always have a jar of honey in the house, It goes in hot drinks as mentioned above. If a soup or stew is a little on the salty side, I will add a spoon of honey and that usually solves the problem.

9. Debra

We like to buy local honey at our different farmer’s markets. I love to add it to plain Greek yoghurt. If I’m needing a sweet late at night I can add it to my tea and enjoy that very much. I would think someone would be trying to market that blue honey! I think it would catch on. Great story.

A fact you didn’t produce in your well laden research GM is that honey doesn’t have an expiry date and will last indefinitely in your cupboard.

As for me, I use it in my nightly cocoa (the real kind).

Debra – Not that particular batch. The blue honey was the result of the bees visiting a “biogas” facility and not the healthy way to collect pollen. Who knows, someday someone might build on the idea and coloured honey become the norm.

WWW – I forgot to mention that one. 😉 Thanks.