Blogging the Alphabet ~W

W ~ Water

Water is almost as important for us as breathing… and I suppose that involves water too!

Water is wonderful to look at and we have plenty of it in Ireland.

Dublin Bay from Howth Summit a view that always brings back memories from my childhood.

The River Liffey on and around which, Dublin was built. If I had a penny for every time I crossed that river, I would be a wealthy woman. Today there are many more bridges than when I was growing up and new modern glass fronted buildings grace the quays. I sometimes wonder if these glass houses will age as gracefully as the 16 storied Liberty Hall (1965) or the neoclassical 18th century Custom House.

Water always holds a great fascination for children, this water feature at the Outlet Centre Banbridge, County Down, is no different. I loved the concentration on this young ladies face.

The River Lagan looking towards Donegall Quay in Belfast. This area was until recently derelict, but now regenerated with new life including one of Northern Ireland’s tallest building projects. The building, called ‘obel’ – an obelisk set in old Belfast – will consists of a residential tower, an 8 storey hotel and a 7 storey office block.

Bridge over the Sixmile River viewed from Antrim Castle and close to Lough Neagh. Time I took my legs for a short dander there again.

Just to prove that we do get the odd BLUE SKY DAY…. This one was back in August 2005.

A view of Fair Head a rocky headland at the north-eastern corner of Northern Ireland, in County Antrim, taken from Torr head.

And the last one, taken from the same spot, but looking in the other direction:

10 thoughts on “Blogging the Alphabet ~W

Water is fine as long as it’s in large quantities in a scenic landscape. Or coming out of a tap. It’s not such fun when it’s pouring down on my head in torrents.

Tilly – In my young day, the Liffey certainly stank, I am not sure if it as bad these days.

Nick – I am not happy with heavy rain battering my head either.

And we had to learn this at school, centuries ago:

|Day after day, day after day,
    We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
    As idle as a painted ship
    Upon a painted ocean.

Water, water, every where,
    And all the boards did shrink;
    Water, water, every where,
    Nor any drop to drink.”

Thank you Sammy, it was a very looooong poem to learn indeed.

4. Maxi

Your photos show a picturesque country, GM; the old mixed with the new. The picture of the bridge over the Sixmile River makes me long to visit.
    Blessings ~ Maxi

5. gigi-hawaii

Lovely pictures! One of these days David and I will treat you to lunch or dinner in Ireland. Don’t know when, but he wants to see the country of his ancestors. He is half-Irish, 1/4 English, 1/4 Scottish.

6. Warren Lieberman

Wonderful. The first week of December my wife and I are taking a cruise out of Galveston Texas. We love the wide open ocean. We relax with the balcony door ajar and let the sounds of wave and wind swirl around us.

Lving in the desert southwest of Texas the smell of the ocean is refreshing and cleansing.

Warren

WWW – These words stay with us forever! 😆

Maxi – That particular area around Lough Neagh, is a favourite walk for me.

Gigi – How wonderful! Ireland has many hidden treasures, but come prepared for the rain!!

Warren – It has been years since I was on a cruise. I loved the idea of unpacking once and the countries and ports coming to me!

8. paulo1

In the first photo, I’m was a bit confused. That must be Bray head off in the far left background, and the Sugarloaf in the middle background but what’s that piece of land, oh, never mind, I just realised that you took the picture looking towards Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey and Killiney behind that. I lived in Blackrock and every picture was aimed a little bit to the right of yours. I can remember thinking we’d be able to see our house when the roll of 126 film came back from the Chemist. Funny how a slightly different perspective can throw you off. I had to look at it a few times to get it right. Great picture. I’d love to go for a wander up Howth Head again one of these fine days.

paulo1 – A different angled shot can change the look of an area completely. Mind you the weather can do that too. It was trying hard to rain the day I took that photo.

Howth is a favourite spot of mine with many happy memories from my young days.