My Epitaph

My Elly is very forward thinking. I have written about it in the past.
Mum! Have you……? I think you should click on the link & read that post first, then all will become clear.

Now for an update:

Which one should it be?

With thanks to Tombstone Generator

This Will Be My Epitaph was the topic chosen by Maria SF for Our Loose Bloggers Consortium this week. Now run along to check out the epitaphs of the other active members: Anu, Delirious, Maxi, Maria/Gaelikaa, Maria SilverFox, OCD writer, Padmum, Paul, Ramana, Rohit Shackman speaks, The Old Fossil, Will Knott.

28 thoughts on “My Epitaph

1. Ursula

Let me amalgamate the four: and it won’t rhyme:

Told tales to those from near and far,
    Tough old bird, Grannymar,
    Don’t dust the mantlepiece (she won’t like it; if you want a job well done let her do it),
    Over the hill and far away, what a sad day.

Greetings from all toy boys, gals and mice,

U

2. Maria from gaelikaa's diary

Ursula, how very nice to meet you again!

Grannymar is not quite the tough, old bird that you’ve mentioned, though. When I met her in Dublin, I thought she was quite the elegant lady. Frail in appearance, ageless too, with an inner strength and sense of humour. You have to meet her to know what she’s really about. I’m glad I did.

3. Maria from Silver Fox

I went and read about Elli’s worries. So what about our blogs? What willl happen? Since my kids are often to busy to read my posts, I have planned a diabolical way of retalitation. I have asked that my funeral service be one where close family member and friends each read out loud one of my posts. Hopefully, there will not be many at my funeral. However, it does my evil heart good to think of them reading and reading, and searching for the one they want to use. Witchey of me, I know!!!!

I too, vote for the first of your epitaphs and poor Mike Spilligan. I hope he haunts those who did not believe his statements of illness. LOL

My favourite epitaph is this inadvertently hilarious one:

Sacred to the memory of

Major James Brush

Royal Artillery, who was killed

by the accidental discharge of

a pistol by his orderly,

14th April 1831.

Well done, good and faithful servant.

5. Dianne

As some of my ashes are going in a niche at the family cemetery across the road and the others sprinkled on the bike/hike trail, I don’t think there will be an epitaph. Dianne

PS love that last comment.

I didn’t cock my clogs yesterday, I was very busy and distracted…

Ursula – It might be fun to have a Toyboy help dust the mantlepiece.

Maria G – Goodness, you almost have me blushing! It was good to meet you too.

Ramana – I smiled to see we both chose gravestones this week, yet neither of us plan to use one when the time comes.

shackman – Sheer Elegance? Would that be a British pop/soul trio, comprising Dennis Robinson, Bev Gordon and Herbie Watkins from the mid 70s?

Barbara – A good one, but the only way people believe there is something wrong is if you wear a plaster cast or use crutches!

Maria SF – I know Elly reads my posts even if she does not always comment. You see it is her way of keeping tabs on her mother! ๐Ÿ™ I have no secrets! ๐Ÿ˜†

WWW – Major James Brush’s epitaph is a real hoot!

Dianne – I am hoping to be blown away by a strong breeze – not hard to find in Ireland.

Gigi, Nick & Cathy –

Don’t laugh at the mantlepiece! I once knew of a family who sent ashes for interment half way round the world, to the rector of the church where the deceased was baptised. They were accompanied by a letter asking the incumbent to hold on to the ashes until such time as the family came home on holiday. The small urn was placed on the mantlepiece of the Rectory and there it sat for twelve months.

Delores – This was fun to play with, but I think the epitaph should actually come for those left behind.

BWT – I have seen a few wallpapers in my day that made me think of Oscar Wildeโ€™s final comment. Alas the ‘fussy’ paper seems to be making a comeback.

10. Warren Lieberman

As a former cemetery manager I have loads of stories. Our motto was we are the last ones to let you down.

As an insider to the unique circumstances that happen I have written my own eulogy (with a disclaimer that it is my view of my, feel free to change).

11. Cathy in NZ

Warren, how very true – “last to let us down” ๐Ÿ™‚

Grannymar, a friend of mine had a devil of a time when her partner died. He had kept his Mothers’ ashes for when his time came. My friend couldn’t remember where “Maude” was? It became a running joke that the last time she was seen was well over 2 decades ago…finally she found Maude and opening the container found she had gone all pink ๐Ÿ™‚ but finally her partner and her were reunited at their favourite seaside place…

Barbara – As far as I know the actual quote is:

My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us has to go.

Wilde said this in the Left Bank hotel where he died on November 30 1900, the wallpaper has since been removed and the room re-furnished in the style of one of Mr. Wilde’s London flats.